Bonham Carter family
The Bonham Carter family are descendants of John Bonham-Carter (1788–1838), a British Member of Parliament and barrister, and his wife Joanna Maria Smith. The MP was the son of Sir John Carter (before 20 December 1741 – 18 May 1808, Mayor of Portsmouth, and son of John Carter, who was a merchant). He assumed the name Bonham by Royal Licence when he inherited the estates of his cousin Thomas Bonham. Joanna Maria Smith was the daughter of William Smith, the abolitionist MP; her sister Frances was the mother of Florence Nightingale, and her brother Benjamin was the father of Barbara Bodichon and Benjamin Leigh Smith. Most of the Bonham-Carters and their circle belonged to Unitarian churches.
John and Joanna had a daughter, (Joanna) Hilary Bonham-Carter (d.1865), who was an artist and friend of political journalist Harriet Martineau. Hilary's portraits of her cousin Florence are held in the National Portrait Gallery.
Living descendants are omitted, unless they are notable and/or have a separate Wikipedia entry. Each indentation indicates a generation.
The family members include:
- John Bonham-Carter (1788–1838), MP, married Joanna Maria Smith, daughter of William Smith (abolitionist)
- John Bonham-Carter (1817–1884), MP, married Mary Baring, daughter of Francis Thornhill Baring, 1st Baron Northbrook
- Lothian George Bonham-Carter (1858–1927), married Emily Maud Sumner
- Esme Mary Maud Bonham Carter (1884–1956), married (1) Basil Murray Tomlinson, married (2) John Selwyn
- Algernon Bonham Carter (1888–1957), married Myra Foyle
- Admiral Sir Stuart Sumner Bonham Carter (1889–1972), married Eve Lloyd
- Thomas Bonham Carter (1819-??)
- (Joanna) Hilary Bonham Carter (1821–1865)
- Frances Bonham Carter (1823–1870)
- Alfred Bonham Carter (1825–1910), married Mary Henrietta Norman
- Guy Bonham Carter (1884–1915), married Kathleen Arkwright, one son, one daughter
- Alfred Erskine Bonham Carter (1880–1921), married Margaret Emily Malcolm
- Henry Bonham Carter (1827–1921), married Sibella Charlotte Norman
- Sir Edgar Bonham-Carter (1870–1956)
- General Sir Charles Bonham-Carter (1876–1955), married Gabriele Fisher
- Victor Bonham-Carter (1913–2007)
- Sir Maurice Bonham Carter (1880–1960) married Violet Asquith, Baroness Asquith of Yarnbury, life peer.
- Helen Cressida Bonham Carter (1917–1997), married Jasper Ridley (1913–1944)
- Sir Adam Nicholas Ridley (born 1942), married (1) Lady Katherine Asquith (divorced) and (2) Margaret Anne Passmore, three sons
- Laura Miranda Bonham Carter (1918–1994), married the Liberal Party leader Jo Grimond, three sons, one daughter
- Mark Raymond Bonham Carter, Baron Bonham-Carter (1922–1994), MP, life peer, married Leslie Nast, three daughters
- Jane Bonham Carter, Baroness Bonham-Carter of Yarnbury (b. 1957), life peer, married Tim Razzall, Baron Razzall
- Raymond Henry Bonham Carter (1929–2004), married Elena Propper de Callejón, two sons, one daughter
- Alice Bonham Carter (1829–1912)
- Hugh Bonham Carter (1832–1896)
- Air Commodore Ian Malcolm Bonham-Carter (1882–1953)
- Eleanor Bonham Carter (1837–1923)
- The Bonham Carter family, Buriton Heritage Bank
- Portrait Gallery, National. "Collection of Joanna Hilary Bonham-Carter (1821–1865)". London NPG UK. UK Government – NPG. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Zastoupil, Lyn. "Rammohun Roy and the Making of Victorian Britain". Rammohun Roy and the Making of Victorian Britain – Footnote 122. Palgrave Macmillan, copyright 2010. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Obituary: Laura Grimond, The Independent, 17 February 1994. Retrieved on 19 July 2012.