Bonnie Bullough (5 January 1927 in Delta, Utah – 12 April 1996) is an accomplished sexologist and author, who helped to develop the first Nurse Practitioner Program in California at UCLA in 1968. Throughout her career, she edited or wrote 30 books as well as 112 published articles.
Bullough finished her bachelor's degree in 1955, after working as a public health nurse in the Chicago Public Health Department while her husband, Vern Bullough, completed his doctorate. Bullough received her masters in nursing from The University of California- Los Angeles in 1959, followed by a masters and Ph.D. in sociology. After starting the first nurse practitioner program in California at UCLA, she went on to develop a masters program in nursing, one of the first in the United States. In 1975, she became the coordinator of graduate studies at California State University--Long Beach, directing nurse practitioner education. She became the dean of nursing at SUNY-Buffalo in 1979, and is considered a pioneer in the University of Buffalo School of Nursing.
Awards and accomplishments
- Nurse Practitioner of the Year - 1991
- Alfred C. Kinsey Award - 1995
- Founder of Nurse Practitioner Program at UCLA - 1969
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality Co-Founder
- Poverty, Ethnic Identity, and Health Care - 1972
- Sin, Sickness and Sanity: A History of Sexual Attitudes - 1977
- Prostitution: an Illustrated Social History - 1978
- Nursing: A Historical Bibliography - 1981
- Women and Prostitution: A Social History - 1987
- Cross Dressing, Sex, and Gender - 1993
- Human Sexuality: An Encyclopedia - 1994
- Nursing Issues for the Nineties and Beyond - 1994
- How I Got Into Sex - 1997
- Gender Blending - 1997
- Contraception: A Guide to Birth Control Methods - 1997
- Collins, Brett Anthony. "Obituaries : * Bonnie Bullough; Initiatied Nurse Practitioner Movement". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Nalick, Jon. "Bonnie Bullough dies". USC News. USC News. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Bullough, Vern L. (1996). "In Memory of Bonnie Bullough". The Journal of Sex Research. 33 (3): 179–181. doi:10.1080/00224499609551832. JSTOR 3813576.
- "Our History - University at Buffalo School of Nursing". nursing.buffalo.edu. Retrieved 2016-04-04.