Bonnie Gold (born 1948) is an American mathematician, mathematical logician, philosopher of mathematics, and mathematics educator. She is a professor emerita of mathematics at Monmouth University.
Education and career
The research from Gold's dissertation, Compact and -compact formulas in , was later published in the journal Archiv für Mathematische Logik und Grundlagenforschung, and concerned infinitary logic.
With Sandra Z. Keith and William A. Marion she co-edited Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics, published by the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) in 1999. With Roger A. Simons, Gold is also the editor of another book, Proof and Other Dilemmas: Mathematics and Philosophy (MAA, 2008).
Her essay "How your philosophy of mathematics impacts your teaching" was selected for inclusion in The Best Writing on Mathematics 2012. In it, she argues that the philosophy of mathematics affects the teaching of mathematics even when the teacher's philosophical principles are implicit and unexamined.
In 2012, Gold became the winner of the 22nd Louise Hay Award of the Association for Women in Mathematics for her contributions to mathematics education. The award citation noted her work in educational assessment for undergraduate study in mathematics.
- Birth year from VIAF authority control file, accessed 2018-11-27.
- "Bonnie Gold", Department of Mathematics Faculty and Staff, Monmouth University, archived from the original on 2018-05-14, retrieved 2018-05-13
- Bonnie Gold at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Monmouth University Professor Received Prestigious Math Award, Monmouth University, January 23, 2012
- Review of Compact and -compact formulas in , Arch. Math. Logik Grundlag. 1978–1979:
- Review of Assessment Practices in Undergraduate Mathematics:
- Reviews of Proof and Other Dilemmas:
- Philosophia Mathematica, 17 (1): 130, April 2008, doi:10.1093/philmat/nkn024CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Mitchell, Charles W., Jr. (October 2009), The Mathematics Teacher, 103 (3): 230, JSTOR 20876589CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Pincock, Christopher (June 2010), SIGACT News, New York, NY, USA: ACM, 41 (2): 28–33, doi:10.1145/1814370.1814379CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Akin, Ethan (December 2010), The American Mathematical Monthly, 117 (10): 937–940, doi:10.4169/000298910x523443CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link);
- J. Corcoran (2010), MR2435289
- Avigad, Jeremy (2011), "Review" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 58 (11): 1580–1584, MR 2896087
- Pitici, Mircea, ed. (2013), The Best Writing on Mathematics 2012, Princeton University Press, p. xx, ISBN 9780691156552
- "Bonnie Gold: Twenty Second Annual Louise Hay Award", Past Hay Award Recipients, Association for Women in Mathematics, retrieved 2018-05-13