Bonnie and Clyde (Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot song)
"Bonnie and Clyde" is a French-language song written by Serge Gainsbourg, and performed by Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot. The song tells the story of the outlaw couple Bonnie and Clyde. It is based on an English language poem written by Bonnie Parker herself a few weeks before she and Clyde Barrow were shot, entitled "The Trail's End". It was released on two albums in 1968: Gainsbourg's album Initials B.B., and Gainsbourg and Bardot's album Bonnie and Clyde.
"Bonnie and Clyde" has been covered by the following artists:
- Steve Wynn translated the song to English and recorded a cover as a duet with Johnette Napolitano on his 1992 album Dazzling Display.
- American alt-rock band Luna, as a hidden track on their 1995 album Penthouse, with Lætitia Sadier of Stereolab on vocals.
- Mick Harvey, in English, on his 1995 Gainsbourg tribute album Intoxicated Man.
- A cover by James Iha of The Smashing Pumpkins and Kazu Makino of Blonde Redhead appears as a bonus track on the American edition of the 2006 compilation Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited under the title "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde".
- Belinda Carlisle, on her 2007 French-language album Voila. She also recorded an English version of the song, included on a bonus disc.
- Giddle & Boyd (Giddle Partridge and Boyd Rice), on their 2008 EP Going Steady with Peggy Moffitt.
- Gainsbourg's son, Lulu Gainsbourg, and actress Scarlett Johansson recorded a cover for Lulu's 2011 album From Gainsbourg to Lulu.
- French indie-pop band Freedom Fry, in a banjo driven version on their 2012 EP, Outlaws.
- Indie band Great Northern, for the 2012 Gossip Girl series finale.
- Indie group Madison, for the 2013 miniseries Bonnie & Clyde.
- Australian pop singer Kylie Minogue sampled the song on her song "Sensitized" off her 2007 album X.
- French rapper MC Solaar sampled it in his song "Nouveau Western" on his 1994 album, Prose Combat.
- United Future Organization sampled it in their song "Good Luck Shore" from their 1999 album Bon Voyage.
- American hip hop duo 7L & Esoteric sampled it on their song "Everywhere" from their 2006 album A New Dope.
- German rap trio PCP sampled it on their song "Lache und die Welt weint mit dir" off their 2009 album of the same title.
- English electronic music group Renegade Soundwave sampled it on their song "Renegade Soundwave" off their 1994 album Howyoudoin?.
- Matthew Herbert remixed the song, released as "Herbert's Fred & Ginger Mix", and included on the 2001 album I Love Serge and the 2002 Zero 7 album Another Late Night: Zero 7.
- The song is featured in the burlesque show scene of the 2007 film Rush Hour 3 and in the 2002 film Laurel Canyon.
- The song appears in the fourth episode from the sixth season (set in 1968) of Mad Men.
- The song is heard in one of the episodes and in the closing credits of the 1996 film Irma Vep.
- The song was played in episode 1 of the Chris Morris radio comedy programme Blue Jam in 1997.
- The song is heard in the TV commercial of the 2017 Nissan Micra titled Meet the Accomplice, starring Eddie Redmayne and Rachel Weisz.
- "Scarlett Johansson's Serge Gainsbourg cover unveiled – listen | News". Nme.Com. 2012-08-06. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Bonnie & Clyde au banjo". Musikplease.com. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Freedom Fry". I love French music!. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2012-08-11.