New York, 2013, by Andrew de Francesco.
|Birth name||Simon Green|
|Also known as||Bonobo
|Born||30 March 1976|
|Origin||Brighton, England, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Electronica, trip hop, acid jazz, chillwave, downtempo, soul|
|Labels||Ninja Tune, Tru Thoughts|
|Associated acts||Nirobi & Barakas, Szjerdene, Bajka, Andreya Triana|
Green's first release under the moniker Bonobo was in October 1999 with the song "Terrapin" on the Tru Thoughts compilation When Shapes Join Together. He released his debut album Animal Magic on Tru Thoughts in 2000. With this album, completely self-produced and self-instrumented, he became one of the "new downtempo pioneers."
In 2001, Bonobo was signed to Coldcut's label Ninja Tune and in 2003, after one album of remixes on Tru Thoughts in 2002, he released Dial 'M' For Monkey. In 2005, Bonobo contributed to the Solid Steel series, with his It Came From The Sea, the release date was scheduled for 10 October 2005, but was released a week early, the mix features several exclusive tracks as well as remixes and re-edits.
His third album, entitled Days to Come, was released on 2 October 2006, the first single from the album was "Nightlite", featuring vocals by Bajka. Following Days to Come his tracks have appeared in a number of media-related items. Days to Come was voted Best Album of 2006 by Gilles Peterson's listeners.
The song "The Keeper" featuring vocals by Andreya Triana was released in September 2009 as the lead single from his fourth album Black Sands, released in March 2010. Black Sands brought rapturous praise and saw Green expanding his music to include gamelan, afrobeat and middle eastern music influences. After their collaboration for Black Sands, Green produced Andreya Triana's debut album Lost Where I Belong.
In February 2012, Black Sands Remixed was released on Ninja Tune, featuring tracks from the original Black Sands record remixed by electronic producers such as Machinedrum, Lapalux, Floating Points and Mark Pritchard.
The first single off the most recent Bonobo album, "Cirrus", was given its worldwide debut on Gilles Peterson's BBC Radio 6 programme on 19 January 2013. The album is titled The North Borders and was set for release on 1 April 2013, but was released early in its digital format after a promotional copy was leaked prior to the planned launch date.
In July 2014, Bonobo announced on his Facebook page that October 2014 would see the release of The North Borders Tour - Live, a DVD and live album recorded on The North Borders Tour over the course of the past eighteen months.
In January 2016, Bonobo announced on Twitter that he intends to release a new album somewhere in 2016.
Bonobo uses a wide variety of samples in his music combined with heavy, often complex basslines. His music generally develops linearly – with new elements such as basslines or percussion coming in one after the other. In Days to Come, he mixes this sonic background with the clean yet distinctive vocals of Bajka, who often uses harmony to build up a multifaceted sound.
Whilst often touring solo, and performing DJ sets, in 2014 Bonobo opted to follow the growing trend amongst electronic acts of playing with a full band. The band plays live renditions of studio material, with a singer, keyboardist, guitarist, saxophonist, string section, electronics, and drummer. Simon Green mainly plays bass guitar, and leads the band from the middle.
|Albums and details||Peak positions|
|Dial 'M' for Monkey
|Days to Come
|The North Borders
- One Offs... Remixes & B-Sides (2002)
- Sweetness (2002)
- Solid Steel Presents: It Came from the Sea (2005)
- Black Sands Remixed (2012)
- Late Night Tales: Bonobo (2013)
- The North Borders Tour - Live (2014)
Singles and EPs
- Scuba EP (2000)
- Terrapin EP (2000)
- Silver EP (2000)
- The Shark EP (2000)
- One Offs, Remixes & B-Sides (2002)
- Kota EP (2002)
- Pick Up EP (2003)
- Flutter EP (2003)
- Live Sessions (2005)
- Nightlite / If You Stayed Over (2006)
- Nightlite (Zero dB Reconstruction/Bonobo Remixes) (2006)
- The Keeper (feat. Andreya Triana) EP (2009)
- Stay the Same (feat. Andreya Triana) (2009)
- Eyesdown (feat. Andreya Triana) (2010)
- Cirrus (2013)
- First Fires (feat. Grey Reverend) (2013)
- Ten Tigers EP (2014)
- The Flashlight EP (2014)
- Live at Koko (2009)
- The North Borders Tour - Live (2014)
- Andreya Triana - Lost Where I Belong (album) (2010, Ninja Tune)
- DELS - "Pulls" (feat. Kerry Leatham) (single) (2014, Big Dada) (co-production)
Songs in soundtracks
Some of his songs have appeared or have been used in advertisements, television and game soundtracks, namely "Pick up" and "Flutter" were featured in the snowboarding game SSX on Tour; "Nightlite" appeared on UEFA Champions League 2006–2007; "Ketto" was featured in the Citroën C4 Picasso advertisement; "Flutter" is the opening title theme to CBC Television's sitcom jPod; and "Recurring" was used in a surfing film broadcast on Fuel TV. "Eyes Down (ft Andrea Trinaya)" was used in the Bionda Castana Autumn/Winter 2013 Fashion Film: David Gandy's Goodnight. His music has also been featured in the interludes between segments on NPR and in bumps on the Adult Swim network. "Cirrus" is featured as the closing song of the pilot episode for the AMC show Halt and Catch Fire which debuted on Sunday 1 June 2014. "All In Forms" was the final song used in the film House at the End of the Street in 2012. His song Eyesdown can be heard in the background in the restaurant in the second episode of the third season of The Newsroom. "Kong" can be heard during a scene in an artist's studio in the eighth episode of the second season of House of Cards.
- "Tru Thoughts Artists". Barakas. Retrieved 10 June 2008.
- "When Shapes Join Together 1 (by Various) " Tru Thoughts releases". Tru-thoughts.co.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Tru Thoughts". Tru Thoughts. 28 April 2013. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
-  Archived 10 March 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
-  Archived 5 April 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Myspace". Us.collect.myspace.cn. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
-  Archived 11 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Statement on 'The North Borders' Early Digital Release". Ninja Tune. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "The North Borders Tour Live". Bonobo. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "New album coming in 2016". Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- Ranta, Alan. "Bonobo / Brasstronaut – Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver BC June 30 • Concert Reviews •". Exclaim.ca. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Bonobo discography". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "SSX on Tour Soundtrack Announced – Xbox". News.teamxbox.com. 12 September 2005. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "UEFA Champions League 2006–2007 Soundtrack – IGN". Uk.music.ign.com. 2 March 2007. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Citroen C4 Picasso ads – Critics' Corner, TV Programme and Film discussion – Satellite & Digital TV Support forum". Satellites.co.uk. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "The Most UFC, Motocross, Surfing, and Snowboarding on Television". Fuel Tv. Retrieved 3 May 2013.
- "Bionda Castana Autumn/Winter 2013 Fashion Film. 'David Gandy's Goodnight'. Full Edit.".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bonobo.|