|Species||Canis lupus familiaris|
|Born||March 16, 2006|
San Francisco Bay Area, California, U.S.
|Known for||“Worldwide’s cutest dog”|
Boo (March 16, 2006 – January 18, 2019) was a Pomeranian dog that became an Internet sensation. He had a popular Facebook page and was the subject of four photo-books. As of March 2016, Boo had over 17.5 million likes on Facebook. Boo was owned by Irene Ahn, a Facebook employee, who was also the owner of Boo's older brother, Buddy
Boo belonged to a San Francisco-based Facebook employee who created a Facebook page for the dog with the statement "My name is Boo. I am a dog. Life is good." He became popular in October 2010 after singer Kesha sent a tweet that she had a new boyfriend, linking to the page.
Chronicle Books, noticing that Boo had 5 million Facebook fans at the time, approached the owner to write a picture book. In August 2011, Boo: The Life of the World's Cutest Dog, written by his owner under the pen name J. H. Lee, was published. The book was eventually published in ten languages. A second book followed, Boo: Little Dog in the Big City, as well as a calendar and plans for a cut-out book and additional children's books. His other merchandise includes a Gund stuffed animal.
Health complications and death
In April 2012, Boo was the subject of a death hoax after #RIPBOO appeared on Facebook. Tweets followed as Gizmodo writer Sam Biddle tweeted that Boo had died. It was later confirmed by the Chronicle Book staff that Boo was alive and well.
In July 2012, Boo was named the Official Pet Liaison of Virgin America, which featured photos of him in an airplane along with advice for people traveling with pets. He also modeled sunglasses for The Monocle Order, from the Blood and Tears line.
- Benny Evangelista (August 17, 2012). "Boo, 'the cutest dog in the world'". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on August 19, 2012. Retrieved August 19, 2012.
- Isaac, Mike (August 8, 2012). "Boo, the World's Cutest Dog, Calls a Facebook Employee "Mom"". AllThingsD. Dow Jones & Company, Inc. Archived from the original on August 9, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Mizoguchi, Karen (January 18, 2019). "Boo the Pomeranian, Once Named the World's Cutest Dog, Dies". People. Archived from the original on January 19, 2019. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- "'He's a true legend': Boo, 'World's Cutest Dog' dies at 12". San Francisco Chronicle. HTV. January 19, 2019. Retrieved January 20, 2019.
- "Boo Is Alive: Dog's Death Refuted On Facebook As #RIPBOO Tweets Flow". Huffingtonpost.com. Oath Inc. April 11, 2012. Archived from the original on July 19, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "Boo, World's Cutest Dog, Is Now Official Pet Liaison For Virgin America (PHOTOS)". Huffingtonpost.com. Oath Inc. July 11, 2012. Archived from the original on July 10, 2017. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Choney, Suzanne. "Is Boo the 'cutest dog' in the world a Facebook plant?". Digital Life. Msnbc. Archived from the original on August 11, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Shontell, Alyson (August 8, 2012). "Meet Boo, 'The World's Cutest Dog'—And The Secret Facebook Employee Behind Him". Business Insider. Insider Inc. Archived from the original on August 10, 2012. Retrieved August 10, 2012.