Boo 2! A Madea Halloween
|Boo 2! A Madea Halloween|
|Directed by||Tyler Perry|
|Written by||Tyler Perry|
|Edited by||Larry Sexton|
|Box office||$48.3 million|
Boo 2! A Madea Halloween[a] is a 2017 American comedy horror film written, produced, directed by and starring Tyler Perry. It is the ninth film in the Madea series, the sequel to Boo! A Madea Halloween (2016), and the third Madea film (after Madea's Witness Protection and Boo!) not adapted from a stage play. The film was released on October 20, 2017, by Lionsgate, received negative reviews from critics and grossed $48 million. At the 38th Golden Raspberry Awards the film received three nominations: Worst Actress (for Perry), Worst Screen Combo (Tyler Perry & either the ratty old dress or worn-out wig) and Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel.
After school on Tiffany's 18th birthday, she and her friend Gabriella encounter Tiffany's dad Brian and brother B.J. outside the school. Tiffany's mom, Brian's ex-wife Debrah, arrives with her new husband Calvin and they surprise Tiffany with the car she wanted (and hoped her father would give her). She and Gabriella drive it recklessly to the frat house from the first film, where they hear that Jonathan and the others are having a Halloween party at Lake Derrick. She hopes to make it up to them for ruining the previous year's party.
Brian goes home where Madea, Joe, Bam, and Hattie are waiting at his house to surprise Tiffany. She tells her friend Leah about the party and asks her mom if she can go. She says yes to upset Brian. Madea overhears Tiffany's conversation about the party and immediately tells Brian, but he agrees to let her go so that he can teach her a lesson. Unhappy about Brian's decision, Madea decides to go to Lake Derrick with her old friends to get Tiffany, who rounds up Gabriella, Leah, and Anna (a girl who's stalking Horse) and they arrive at Lake Derrick in her new car. The frat boys meet up and have fun with the girls until some of them disappear after seeing "Derrick", his brother, and his daughters.
On the way, Madea accidentally hits one of "Derrick's" daughters with her car when she mysteriously appears on the road. Madea, Bam, and Hattie check on the girl, who pulls her hair and shows her scarred-up face to everybody. The ladies run back to the car, but the girl appears on top of the car, scaring everyone again, and Joe immediately drives away.
Back at Lake Derrick, Tiffany, Gabriella, Leah, and the remaining frat boys are at the campfire discussing the murders that happened in the area but Gabriella doesn't want to hear this and insists on leaving. Horse and Leah sneak away to have sex, under the guise that they will look for ice for the cooler. While on the truck, the two find blood and are immediately confronted by "Derrick" and his family, who chase them into the woods, with Horse getting caught and presumably killed. Leah runs out of the forest and sees Madea and the gang, deciding to wait with them for the car to stop smoking, until Bam sees a "grim reaper" figure standing in the middle of the road. Madea initially thinks this is just another one of the frat boys’ pranks until the figure slashes one of the Cadillac's tires, but Joe continues to drive it anyway.
Gabriella reluctantly seeks safety in a tent with Dino, a frat brother who had been flirting with her all night, but they discover "Derrick" and his daughters outside the tent. In another tent, Tiffany hooks up with Jonathan until "Derrick" tears down the tent. Tiffany, Gabriella, Jonathan, and Dino escape from the camp after Tiffany tries unsuccessfully to call her mom.
Madea and the crew finally arrive at the camp; Madea accompanies Hattie to an old outhouse to go to the bathroom. While waiting, Madea spots a masked, axe-wielding killer coming out of the river and immediately runs away. Inside the outhouse, Hattie spots the girl trying to grab her, and she runs away. Madea and Hattie arrive back at the car, but Joe spots "Derrick" and drives away.
At the police station, Debrah and Calvin desperately ask the sheriff to check for Tiffany at Lake Derrick, but Brian says he will go look for her with Gabriella's dad. Madea's car stops in front of an old abandoned house, where the girl scares everyone out of the car into the house. They find Tiffany, Leah, Gabriella, Jonathan and Dino hiding there. Inside, Hattie and Madea witness Joe being dragged away by "Derrick" and his brother and "Derrick" sawing off Madea's car. The girl appears inside, scaring everyone out. Brian and Victor are waiting for them, where they reveal that they had been pranking them for lying and sneaking out, and for Debrah to learn to co-parent. Debrah agrees, and the people who were "killed" are safely locked at the police station for trespassing and having drugs.
Outside the station, Brian and Victor realize that the masked chainsaw killer at the outhouse was not part of the prank; he is the actual Derrick. When Derrick spots them, they drive away from the camp. Joe, who is still alive and in cahoots with Derrick, asks him if he can help him kill Madea and he nods in response.
- Tyler Perry as Mabel "Madea" Simmons, Brian Simmons, and Uncle Joe Simmons
- Cassi Davis as Betty Ann "Aunt Bam“ Murphy
- Patrice Lovely as Hattie Mae Love
- Taja V. Simpson as Debrah Simmons
- Yousef Erakat as Jonathan
- Diamond White as Tiffany Simmons
- Lexy Panterra as Leah Devereaux
- Andre Hall as Quinton
- Inanna Sarkis as Gabriella
- Hannah Stocking as Anna
- Alex Wassabi as Allen
- Lauren Riihimaki as Lisa
- Jared Sawyer Jr. as Geeky College Student
- Brock O'Hurn as Horse
- Tito Ortiz as Victor
- Mike Tornabene as Dino
- Akende Munalula as Calvin
- De’arra Taylor as Deidre
- Ken Walker as Kevin
- Rae Sremmurd as Themselves
- Bradley Martyn as Byron
- Dee Dubois as B.J
Principal photography on Boo 2! A Madea Halloween began in March 2017 in Atlanta, Georgia. The budget was around 25 million dollars. Lionsgate released a teaser trailer for the film on July 18, 2017, and a full trailer on August 18.
Boo 2! A Madea Halloween grossed $47.3 million in the United States and Canada, and $1 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $48.3 million, against a production budget of $25 million.
In the United States and Canada, Boo 2! A Madea Halloween was released alongside Geostorm, The Snowman and Only The Brave, and was expected to gross $20–25 million from 2,388 theaters in its opening weekend. The film made $760,000 from Thursday night previews and $7.5 million on its first day. It went on to open to $21.7 million (down 24% from the first film's $27.6 million debut), becoming the tenth Tyler Perry film to finish first at the box office. Like most Perry films, the opening weekend audience demographics were diverse: 38% African-American, 31% Caucasian and 21% Hispanic. In its second weekend, the film dropped 52% to $10.1 million (more than the 39.6% drop of the first film), finishing second, behind newcomer Jigsaw ($16.6 million), and in its third weekend the film grossed $4.7 million (dropping another 53%), finishing 4th at the box office.
On review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 4% based on 23 reviews and an average rating of 2.6/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 17 out of 100 based on 10 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike." Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "A–" on an A+ to F scale, while PostTrak reported filmgoers gave it a 73% overall positive score.
|Golden Raspberry Awards||Worst Actress||Tyler Perry||Won|
|Worst Screen Combo||Nominated|
|Either the ratty old dress or worn-out wig||Nominated|
|Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-off or Sequel||Nominated|
- (stylized in marketing as Boo! Two: A Madea Halloween)
- McNary, Dave (May 26, 2017). "Lionsgate Sets 'Tyler Perry's Boo 2: A Madea Halloween' for October". Variety. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- "Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved May 1, 2018.
- "Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (2017) - Financial Information". The Numbers (website).
- "RAZZIE AWARD NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED". Rotten Tomatoes. January 21, 2018. Retrieved January 22, 2018.
- "Boo! 2: A Madea Halloween (2017)". Movie Insider. March 9, 2017.
- "Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (2017 Movie) Official Teaser Trailer "Peek-A BOO BOO!" – Tyler Perry - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- "Boo 2! A Madea Halloween Teaser Trailer #1 (2017)". Hot Trailers Collection. July 19, 2017. Archived from the original on 2017-07-22. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- "Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween gets a trailer". 18 August 2017.
- "Tyler Perry's 'Boo 2! A Madea Halloween' Sets Release Date". May 26, 2017.
- Anthony D'Alessandro (October 18, 2017). "Boo 2!' To Shut Down Expensive 'Geostorm' In Crowded Weekend – Box Office Preview". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 18, 2017.
- Anthony D'Alessandro. "'Boo 2! A Madea Halloween' Reaps $21M+ During October Dumping Ground At The B.O." Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 21, 2017.
- Anthony D'Alessandro. "Horror Has Few Scares At B.O. As 'Jigsaw' Dulls To $16M+, 'Suburbicon' Condemned With D- CinemaScore". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 29, 2017.
- Anthony D'Alessandro. "'Thor: Ragnarok' Flexes His Box Office Muscles To $120M-$122M Opening – Early Sunday AM Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Boo 2! A Madea Halloween (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 27, 2019.
- "Boo 2! A Madea Halloween reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved October 28, 2017.