|Industry||Luxury Goods, Jewellery|
Boodles is a privately held British luxury jeweller and jewellery designer founded in 1798. A family company from North West England, it also has stores in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Chester and Dublin. Their flagship store is found on New Bond Street, London.
Founded as Boodle and Dunthorne, Boodles dates from 1798 when its first shop opened in Liverpool. In 1910 it amalgamated with the Wainwright family, owners of another Liverpool jewellers. The business has remained with them ever since.
In 1965 Boodles opened a second store in Chester and a third one in Manchester in 1982. Nicholas and Michael Wainwright took over from their father, Anthony Wainwright, in 1992. Under their stewardship, Boodles has opened several stores in London:
Boodles has nine stores including five in London: Savoy Hotel, New Bond Street, Sloane Street, The Royal Exchange and Harrods, three in North West England; (Manchester, Liverpool and Chester) and one in Dublin, Ireland.
In its early years Boodles, as well as making jewellery, was a silversmith and watchmaker. During the 20th century the company provided chronographs and watches to air and naval officers. It also designed and crafted cups for sporting and non-sporting competitions including the solid gold trophy for the winner of the Grand National and awards for the Chelsea Flower Show.
The Boodles Challenge is a five-day tennis exhibition at Stoke Park in Buckinghamshire, held in the run up to Wimbledon. The event has attracted players such as Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
The Boodles May Festival is a three-day horse race and opener to the Chester Racecourse season.
In collaboration with Liz Earle, Boodles designed the Rose Pelargonium Necklace. Profits made from the necklace are donated to the Shining Faces’ children’s orphanage in India. In 2015, the partnership between the Royal Ballet and Boodles resulted in a jewellery collection called “Pas de Deux” that is inspired by ballet. The launch party for this collection took place in The Savoy Hotel and was attended by dancers from the Royal Ballet.
The TV documentary “The Million Pound Necklace: Inside Boodles” was aired on Channel 4 in 2014 and is following the creation of the Greenfire Suite, a jewellery collection made of emeralds valued at 2.8 Million Pounds.
- "INSPIRING INDEPENDENTS 2011, PART 1 | In-depth". Retail Jeweller. 29 August 2011. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Boodles of Bond Street". Familybusinessplace.com. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "NWLG Clarence House sponsored by Boodles & Coutts". Princes-trust.org.uk. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- bernard. "Boodles of Chester". Visit-chester.co.uk. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "LDP Business Magazine December 2010". Issuu.com. 26 November 2010. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- Davis, Glynn (13 February 2012). "Retail Species – The establishment – Michael Wainwright of Boodles". Retail Insider. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Boodles". The Royal Exchange. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Boodles". ISFA. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Boodles to open at The Savoy Hotel". Retail Jeweller. 13 November 2009. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "On the shop floor with……the Boodles managing director Michael Wainwright". The Retail Bulletin. 25 July 2008. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- Butler, Sarah (29 November 2011). "Boodles jewellery to be sold online". London: Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "Liverpool jewels in V&A show | Lancashire Life". Lancashire.greatbritishlife.co.uk. 3 October 2010. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Finance (13 February 2009). "Boodles bucks the trend with diamond business". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Liverpool jewels in V&A show". 3 October 2010. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Need a warm-up for Wimbledon? Boodles has the answer". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "Murray to play on Boodles' grass". BBC News. 10 June 2008. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- Rebecca English (9 June 2008). "Kate Middleton and Chelsy Davy up the fashion stakes on a night out at the boxing | Mail Online". London: Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Richard Eden (1 October 2011). "William's former belle and Pippa are boxing clever in red; The Telegraph". London: Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 1 March 2012.
- "Liz Earle teams with Boodles for necklace". fashioninsight.co.uk. 31 October 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "A new collection of Boodles jewellery dances a pas de deux in diamonds". The Jewellery Editor. 15 June 2015. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Planet Party's: Boodles and The Royal Ballet Launch Collection 'Pas de Deux' at The Savoy Hotel". http://planetpartys.blogspot.co.uk/. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Review: Maria Doulton on the Channel 4 documentary The Million Pound Necklace: Inside Boodles". The Jewellery Editor. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 17 July 2015.