Book of Gad the Seer
The Book of Gad the Seer is a presumed lost text, supposed to have been written by the Biblical prophet Gad. It is mentioned at 1 Chronicles 29:29. The passage reads: "Now the acts of David the king, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of Samuel the seer, and in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the book of Gad the seer." These writings of Nathan and Gad may have been incorporated into 1 and 2 Samuel.
This text is sometimes called Gad the Seer or The Acts of Gad the Seer.
Pseudepigraphic book of the same name
There is a pseudepigraphic book by the same title, extant in the form of a manuscript from the Black Jews of Cochin, India. The manuscript now in the Cambridge Library is a relatively recent (19th century) copy, but apparently[according to whom?] is copied from a document purportedly in Rome. The language indicates relatively late authorship and the content indicates a substantial acquaintance with Kabbalistic literature (which would make it no earlier than about the 11th century), as well as with some aspects of Christianity. It is, therefore, not regarded as dating back to antiquity.
A scholarly edition of the book was published in August 2015, edited by Professor Meir Bar Ilan of Bar Ilan University. The book also includes an English translation of the original text.
- Israel Abrahams, The Words of Gad the Seer, appeared in Livre d'hommage a la mémoire du Dr Samuel Poznański (1864-1921). Leipzig Warsaw: Comité de la Grande Synagogue à Varsovie. 1927.
- Apologetics Press - The Canon and Extra-Canonical Writings
- Apologetics Press - Are There Lost Books of the Bible?
- Schechter, Solomon, Note on Hebrew Manuscripts in the University Library at Cambridge (Part IV), Jewish Quarterly Review, vol. 6, nr. 1 (Oct. 1893) page 140; Lieberman, Abraham A., Again: The Words of Gad the Seer, Journal of Biblical Literature, vol. 111, nr. 2 (Summer 1992) pages 313-314; Kimelman, Reuven, Psalm 145: Theme, Structure, and Impact, Journal of Biblical Literature, vol. 113, nr. 1 (Spring 1994) page 50.
- Catalogue reference in Israel National Library: http://aleph.nli.org.il/F/35AAK8QP6DIRITU6IXH13YHCYQ2ETEN2JYH196M3ATRS8Y8XE1-26864?func=direct&=&=&local_base=nnl01&doc_number=003844968&pds_handle=GUEST