This product contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Available in||English, Serbian, Spanish, Russian, Estonian, Turkish, Swedish, Ukrainian, Danish|
|Managing director||Andrew Baev|
|Services||Social reading and publishing platform|
Bookmate is a social ebook subscription service, available primarily on mobile, with catalogues in multiple languages including English, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, and Swedish. The mobile app is supported on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and feature phones, and the service is also available in a web version. Bookmate has 3 million readers, and a catalogue of over 500,000 books.
The company was founded in 2010 by Victor Frumkin and Simon Dunlop, and is headquartered in London. Starting with $500,000 seed funding, Bookmate has raised two subsequent funding rounds. In June 2011, the company received $3 million from Ulmart and Essedel, and in May 2014, it received a further $3 million from Ulmart.
Simon Dunlop is the CEO of Bookmate, and Andrew Baev is its Managing Director. Bookmate is a market leader in Russia and the CIS, and has launched its services in Singapore, Indonesia, Latin America and Scandinavia.
Bookmate offers three tiers: Free, Standard and Premium, allowing access to increasing parts of the catalogue. International books, new titles, bestsellers and business books are part of the Premium subscription.
Bookmate offers titles in nine different languages with a catalogue of over 500,000 books. The company has distribution deals with Ingram, Vearsa, Diversion Books, Head of Zeus, Legend Press, Casemate, HarperCollins, Bloomsbury, and Faber Factory.
Partnerships with Telcos
Bookmate partners with mobile operators and original equipment manufacturers such as Indosat in Indonesia, Yotaphone in Russia, StarHub in Singapore, Kcell in Kazakhstan,! Azercell in Azerbaijan and Tigo in Latin America for preinstalls and carrier billing on mobile phones and other mobile devices.
- "Bookmate launches new subscription reading app". thebookseller.com.
- Ben Aris, Business New Europe (4 May 2010). "Online business: Russo-British duo aim high". Telegraph.co.uk.
- "В Bookmate появился крупнейший англоязычный каталог". lenta.ru.
- "E-book service Bookmate begins SEA chapter with StarHub". Digital News Asia.
- "Bookmate expands to Indonesia, partners with Indosat". thebookseller.com.
- "Для абонентов МТС станет доступен книжный сервис Bookmate". naviny.by.
- Mike Butcher. "E-Book Platform Bookmate Secures $3M To Target Emerging World". TechCrunch. AOL.
- "Bookmate raises $3 million in Series A funding". TeleRead. Archived from the original on 2015-08-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "These startups are disrupting the publishing industry". Wired UK.
- "Bookmate Launches in Indonesia". The Digital Reader.
- Gabriella Mulligan. "Indosat, Bookmate launch e-reading service in Indonesia". Developing Telecoms.
- "Bookmate Offers 200,000 E-books in English". PublishersWeekly.com.
- "Bookmate, a Spotify for books, launches in Singapore". Tech in Asia.
- "All the books you'll ever need on Bookmate? Not quite (REVIEW)". Tech in Asia.
- "Bookmate adds HC for English push". thebookseller.com.
- "More UK publisher deals for Bookmate". thebookseller.com.
- "Indie publishers sign up to Bookmate subscription service". thebookseller.com.
- json.tv. "YotaPhone 2 привлек на Indiegogo денег больше, чем собирался". json.tv.
- Kcell. "Listen, Watch and Read together with activ". kcell.kz. Archived from the original on 2016-02-23. Retrieved 2016-02-16.
- Ellen Harvey. "Bookmate Launches Its Subscription Service in Latin America". Book Business.
- Roem.ru (6 May 2014). "Bookmate и Zvooq встроят в Ulmart". roem.ru.