Radio audiobook is a radio programming format for audiobooks. The programming is usually in series format due the length of the books. The books may be abridged or unabridged, sometimes as dramatisations. The productions may be for radio only, or also distributed through other media such as vinyl record, cassette tape, CD-ROM and digital download. Books include all genres such as fiction and non-fiction. They are read by an actor, the author or a full-cast.
Channels which have regular audiobook programming include BBC Radio 4, BBC 6Music, Oneword and BBC World Service in the UK, RTÉ Radio 1 in Ireland, National Public Radio in the US, and ABC local radio and ABC Radio National in Australia.
List of audiobook shows
The following is a list of radio shows that play audiobooks. It is not a list of specific audiobooks.
- "Afternoon Reading" external link features either a short story or an abridged book.
- "Book at Bedtime" external link presents modern classics, new works by leading writers and literature from around the world.
- "Book of the Week" external link Non-fiction, biography, autobiography, travel, diaries, essays, humour and history.
- "Poetry Please" external link a selection of poems chosen by listeners.
- "Steve Lamacq" external link Steve Lamacq's Library of Rock and Roll related books.
- "6Music's reading festival" external link Six Music celebrates reading, writing and books.
- "Fiction 15" external link newly commissioned writing for younger listeners.
- "Francis Macmanus Short Story" external link short stories.
- "The Poem and the Place" external link brings together poems and the places which inspired them.
- "The Book Reading" external link classic and contemporary fiction by Australian and world writers, read by actors.
- "Short story" external link two short stories a week.
- "Short story project" external link short stories from around Australia.
- Virtually all of Oneword's programming, 24 hours a day. external link