Booky and the Secret Santa
|Booky and the Secret Santa|
|Directed by||Peter Moss|
|Produced by||Armand Leo|
|Written by||novel Bernice Thurman Hunter|
writer Joe Wiesenfeld
|Music by||Robert Carli|
|Edited by||Diane Brunjes|
|Distributed by||Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)|
|11 December 2007 (Canada)|
Booky and the Secret Santa is a 2007 Canadian family television movie starring Rachel Marcus and Megan Follows. Directed by Peter Moss from a book adapted by Joe Wiesenfeld and written by Bernice Thurman Hunter. The movie first aired December 11, 2007 on CBC Television. A prequel set five years before 2006's Booky Makes Her Mark, all the juvenile roles were recast.
Booky (Rachel Marcus) tries to bring her family the best Christmas possible, despite hard times during the Great Depression of the 1930s when her dad (Stuart Hughes) loses his job. She gets help from her mum (Megan Follows) and a department store owner (Kenneth Welsh).
- Rachel Marcus as Beatrice 'Booky' Thomson
- Megan Follows as Francie Thomson
- Kenneth Welsh as Mr. Eaton
- Stuart Hughes as Thomas Thomson
- Emilia McCarthy as Laura Westover
- Sarah White as Willa Thomson
- Dylan Everett as Arthur Thomson
- Noah Ryan Scott as Jakey Thomson
- Libby Adams as Ada May
- Nahanni Johnstone as Anne Westover
- Jane Sowerby as Aunt Susan
- Miles Potter as Henry Westover
- Diane D'Aquila as Mrs. Eaton
Awards & nominations
- 2008, Directors Guild of Canada nomination for 'DGC Team Award'
- 2008, Gemini Awards nomination for 'Best Sound in a Dramatic Program'
- 2008, Gemini Awards nomination for Nahanni Johnstone for 'Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Supporting Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series'
- 2008, Gemini Awards nomination for Megan Follows for 'Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series'
- 2008, Gemini Awards nomination for Rachel Marcus for 'Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Dramatic Program or Mini-Series'
- Harris, Bill (6 December 2007). "Megan Follows ushers in holiday TV / 'Booky and the Secret Santa' depicts tough times in T.O." Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2007-12-11.[dead link]
- Wysong, Pippa (2 December 2007). "Times were tough in 1930s Toronto / Making `the best out of everything' is message of made-for-TV Christmas movie, says child star". The Toronto Star. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- Reaney, James (8 December 2007). "London pupil at home in role / Emilia McCarthy acts in the TV movie Booky and the Secret Santa". London Free Press. Retrieved 2007-12-11.[dead link]
- Walmark, Henrietta (7 December 2007). "Tonight's Picks". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2007-12-11.
- "Christmas movie has local connection / Cambridge resident Noah Ryan Scott is bringing a little bit of Christmas to Cambridge next week". 7 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-11.