Current App Icon
|Release date(s)||November 11, 2013 (Canada)
March 26, 2014 (worldwide)
Boom Beach is a freemium mobile strategy video game for iOS and Android, developed by Supercell. It was soft launched in Canada on 11 November 2013 and widely released on 26 March 2014.
Boom Beach is a strategy game that combines attacks on other players with attacks against computer generated bases and organizations (Blackguard). The game's storyline is set in a tropical archipelago with the player on an island with defenses and troops (similar to Supercell's Clash of Clans game).
Players can build their base, upgrading their defenses and other buildings, and unlock troop upgrades. Boom Beach combines single player campaign play as well as the ability to attack other players in multiplayer mode on the same map. It has been a top 10 game in 22 countries at its launch. The game pits the player against an enemy known as "The Blackguard" which is often represented by Lt. Hammerman.
Apart from the main aspect of the game, there is also a cooperative form where players gather "Intel" (by surviving or ordering attacks, or by rewards) which is then used to attack computer generated bases in task force operations.
Boom Beach requires the player to collect and store resources such as gold, wood, stone, and in higher levels, iron. These resources are used to upgrade troops and buildings. The game also uses a premium purchasable currency, diamonds, which are available in small quantities from gameplay. Diamonds can be used to speed up every aspect of the game (except for submarine dives); from construction time of buildings and statues, to troop training and armory research. They can also be used to purchase more gold, wood, stone and iron. The only thing that cannot be bought with the diamonds is Intel, as well as Powerstones, which are used to boost various aspects of the game using statues. Use it to boost troop health, building health, resource production, etc.
A large portion of the game is used for attacking. The player can use certain troops, like the "Heavy", and "Medic". The player can attack against computer-Generated bases, or real people to try and take loot. There is also something called Energy, which the player can use to destroy or heal your troops, similar to spells in Clash of Clans. There are things called Artilleries, shock bombs, etc. The only way you can get these is "Energy", which the player must destroy buildings to get it.
- Supercell's new title is winning over gamers 29 March 2014 Helsinki Times
- What Supercell did next: Boom Beach masters the art of the follow-up 9 April 2014 by Steve El-Sharawy, The Finnsider Pocket Gamer
- Clash of Clans Dev Releases Boom Beach; The follow-up takes to the islands by Mike Mahardy 27 March 2014 IGN
- Boom Beach is Clash of Clans maker Supercell's Clash of Clans clone. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- Clash of Clans dev releases Boom Beach. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Boom Beach Description". Play Boom Beach.
- "Boom Beach Resources". Ultimate Boom Beach Guide.
- Stephen Habermann (16 April 2014). "Boom Beach Review – IGN". IGN. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Boom Beach for iPhone/iPad Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic.com. Retrieved October 18, 2015.
- "Boom Beach on the App Store". Retrieved October 18, 2015.