Boom Chicka Boom is the 76th album by American country music singer Johnny Cash, released in 1990 (see 1990 in music) on Mercury Records. The title refers to the sound that Cash's backing band, the Tennessee Three, were said to produce. It includes a cover of Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle", and a song written by Elvis Costello for Cash, "Hidden Shame". "Don't Go Near the Water" is a re-recorded version and its original had been recorded for Ragged Old Flag. It discusses the issue of pollution of the environment. In 2003, Mercury released Boom Chicka Boom paired with Johnny Cash is Coming to Town on a single compact disc, though the bonus track "Veteran's Day" was left off. "Farmer's Almanac" and "Cat's in the Cradle" were released as singles, but failed to chart; the album itself, however, reached No. 48 on the country charts. The album is notable for including backing vocals by Elvis Presley's old backing group The Jordanaires (who had also backed Cash on some of his earliest Columbia recordings in the late 1950s), and Cash's mother.
||"A Backstage Pass"
||"Cat's in the Cradle"
||Harry Chapin, Sandy Chapin
||"Don't Go Near the Water"
||Walt Breeland, Paul Buskirk, Claude Gray
||Michael Martin Murphey, Chick Rains
||"I Love You I Love You"
||"That's One You Owe Me"
||Jim Elliott, Mark D. Sanders
||"Veteran's Day" (bonus track on later pressings)
- Produced By: Bob Moore
- Recorded at Bradley's Barn in Mt. Juliet, Tennessee and Stargem Recording Studio in Nashville, Tennessee
- Mixed at Bradley's Barn
- Engineers: Bobby Bradley, Dennis Ritchie
- Assistant Engineer: Danny Dunkleberger
- Mastered by: Benny Quinn at Masterfonics, Inc. in Nashville, Tennessee
- Original CD Graphics: Barnes & Company
- Art Direction & Design: Bill Barnes
- Photography: Alan Messer
- Reissue CD Credits
- Supervised by: Andy McKaie
- Digitally Remastered by Suha Gur, universal Mastering - East
- Art Direction: Vartan
- Design: Mike Fink @ilevel
- Photo Research: Ryan Null
- Photos by: Slick Lawson and Alan Messer
- Production Coordination: Beth Stempel
Album - Billboard (North America)