Boomerang (U.S. TV series)
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||2|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original release||February 12, 2019 –|
Boomerang revolves around "a successful executive who finds that his lifestyle choices have turned back on him when his new boss turns out to be a bigger deviant that he is. It is described as an updated version that explores contemporary workplace dynamics, including the changing role of gender, office politics, relationships and the conflicts between Generation X and millennials."
Cast and characters
- Tequan Richmond as Bryson, the son of Jacqueline Broyer
- Tetona Jackson as Simone, the daughter of Marcus Graham and Angela Lewis
- Leland Martin as Ari, a digital producer
- Lala Milan as Tia, a performance artist
- RJ Walker as David Wright
- Paula Newsome as Victoria Johnson
- Brittany Inge as Crystal Garrett
- Joey BadA$$ as Camden Knight
- Kimberly Hall as Rocky
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||U.S. viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||Dime Davis||Lena Waithe & Ben Cory Jones||February 12, 2019||0.587|
|2||"Game Night"||TBA||TBA||February 12, 2019||0.538|
On April 11, 2018, it was announced that BET had given a series order to the production for a first season consisting of ten episodes. A writer and producing team had yet to be determined but the series was expected be produced by Paramount Television. On September 24, 2018, it was announced that Lena Waithe and Ben Cory Jones would write the series' pilot episode together and executive produce alongside Halle Berry and Rishi Rajani. Jones was also expected to serve as the showrunner for the series and Dime Davis was set to direct the pilot episode. Laithe's production company Hillman Grad Productions was also slated to be involved with the series. On December 19, 2018, it was announced that the series would premiere on February 12, 2019.
In October 2018, it was announced that Tequan Richmond, Tetona Jackson, Leland Martin, and Lala Milan had been cast in series regular roles and that RJ Walker, Paula Newsome, Brittany Inge, Joey BadA$$, and Kimberly Hall would appear in a recurring capacity.
Principal photography for the series took place from October to December 2018 in Georgia. In October 2018, filming took place in the Buckhead area of Atlanta and in East Point. In November 2018, the series was shooting in the Mechanicsville neighborhood of Atlanta and on Ponce de Leon Avenue near the Ponce City Market in Atlanta.
On January 6, 2019, the first trailer for the series was released.
On January 26, 2019, the series held a screening during the 2019 Sundance Film Festival. The event was followed by a panel discussion hosted by Macro Lodge and featuring executive producer Lena Waithe, showrunner Ben Cory Jones, and director Dime Davis.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 11, 2018). "'Boomerang' Reboot Among 3 Series Orders as BET Doubles Down on Scripted (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- "Boomerang Listings – The Futon Critic". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 18, 2019.
- Metcalf, Mitch (February 13, 2019). "Updated: ShowBuzzDaily's Top 150 Tuesday Cable Originals & Network Finals: 2.12.2019". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved February 13, 2019.
- Bennett, Jessica (April 11, 2018). "Series Based on Eddie Murphy Classic, 'Boomerang' Coming to BET". Ebony. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Roots, Kimberly (April 11, 2018). "Boomerang: Eddie Murphy Movie Gets TV Series Adaptation at BET". TVLine. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Brown, Sierra (April 11, 2018). "BET 'Boomerang' Reboot Will Show Modern Workplace Dynamics". Vibe. Retrieved April 11, 2018.
- Patten, Dominic (September 24, 2018). "Halle Berry & Lena Waithe Add Serious EP Spin To BET's 'Boomerang' Reboot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 24, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (December 19, 2018). "The 19 Most-Anticipated New Scripted TV Shows of 2019". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 26, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (October 3, 2018). "'Boomerang': Tequan Richmond & Tetona Jackson Lead Series Regular Cast Of BET Reboot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 3, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (October 12, 2018). "'Boomerang': RJ Walker & Paula Newsome To Recur In BET Reboot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 12, 2018.
- Petski, Denise (October 31, 2018). "'Boomerang': Brittany Inge, Joey BadA$$ & Kimberly Hall To Recur in BET Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 31, 2018.
- Ho, Rodney (November 23, 2018). "BET shooting 'Boomerang' sequel TV series 26 years later in Atlanta". Atlanta Journal Constitution. Retrieved December 1, 2018.
- Walljasper, Matt (November 29, 2018). "What's filming in Atlanta now? Limited Partners, Watchmen, Stranger Things, plus unpacking the #BoycottGeorgia movement". Atlanta. Retrieved December 1, 2018.
- Walljasper, Matt (December 20, 2018). "What's filming in Atlanta now? Undercover Brother 2, Limited Partners, Watchmen, Dolly Parton's Heartstrings, and more". Atlanta. Retrieved January 2, 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik; Haring, Bruce (January 6, 2019). "'Boomerang' First Look: BET Comedy From EPs Lena Waithe & Halle Berry". Deadline Holywood. Retrieved January 6, 2019.
- Scott, Sydney (January 27, 2019). "BET Sets Up Bright Future For Primetime TV With 'Boomerang'". Essence. Retrieved February 3, 2019.