Boondall Wetlands, 2012
|Population||8,748 (2011 census)|
|• Density||803/km2 (2,079/sq mi)|
|Area||10.9 km2 (4.2 sq mi)|
|Location||17 km (11 mi) from Brisbane CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane
Situated approximately 13.5 kilometres (8.4 mi) north of Brisbane near Moreton Bay, almost halfway between Brisbane and the coastal city of Redcliffe. Bounded on the north by Deagon, Sandgate and Shorncliffe, on the east by Nudgee and Nudgee Beach, on the south by Banyo, Geebung and Virginia and on the west by Taigum and Zillmere.
The Boondall Wetlands are located in the east of the suburb. These internationally significant wetlands contain more than 1000 hectares of protected area that provide habitat to a wide range of animals including more than 190 species of birds.
A residential zone, Boondall is home to a mix of young and established families and retirees.
In the 2011 census, Boondall recorded a population of 8,748 people, 48.3% female and 51.7% male.
The median age of the Boondall population was 36 years of age, 1 year below the Australian median.
69.8% of people living in Boondall were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 4.9%, England 2.5%, India 2.4%, Philippines 2%, China 1.3%.
78.1% of people spoke only English at home; the next most popular languages were 1.5% Cantonese, 1.5% Italian, 1.2% Punjabi, 1.1% Samoan, 1.1% Mandarin.
Close to the Boondall railway station is the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, where many live entertainment shows are held. One of the shows at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre was the popular musical theatre production The Man from Snowy River: Arena Spectacular.
Its local school is Boondall State School that has received numerous awards for their educational programs (e.g. ELF Literacy Program). The Internationally recognised and acclaimed St Joseph's College, Nudgee that has produced seven Rhodes scholars is situated in the southern part of Boondall (it was originally within the boundaries of the neighbouring suburb of Nudgee).
Boondall has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Boondall". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Deagon Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Boondall (entry 41700)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Birds of Boondall Wetlands Checklist". Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 15 March 2011. Retrieved 30 November 2010.
- "Agency ID10934, Boondall State School". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- Lizard Insider[permanent dead link]. Retrieved 4 February 2008.
- "St Joseph's Nudgee College (entry 601771)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Boondall, Queensland.|
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Boondall
- "Boondall". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 20 July 2008.
- "Boondall". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 17 January 2008.