- "Aquila minuta" redirects here. If based on Brehm (1831), it refers to this bird. The fossil bird described under the same name by Milne-Edwards (1871) is preliminarily known as "Hieraaetus" edwardsi but might belong in Aquila.
|A dark morph wintering in India|
The booted eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus, also classified as Aquila pennata) is a medium-sized bird of prey. It is about 46 cm (18 in) in length and has a wingspan of 120 cm (47 in). Like all eagles, it belongs to the family Accipitridae.
The booted is a small eagle, comparable to the common buzzard in size though more eagle-like in shape. Males grow to about 510–770 g (1.12–1.70 lb) in weight, with females about 950–1,000 g (2.09–2.20 lb). There are two relatively distinct plumage forms. Pale birds are mainly light grey with a darker head and flight feathers. The other form has mid-brown plumage with dark grey flight feathers.
The call is a shrill kli-kli-kli.
Breeding and habitat
Based on recent genetic research some authors reclassified this species to the genus Aquila, along with some or all other Hieraaetus species. As it is the type species of Hieraaetus, should any of the hawk-eagles have been retained in a distinct genus then a new name for that group would have been necessary.
- BirdLife International (2013). "Hieraaetus pennatus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- According to Avibase, The Clements Checklist first reassigned the Hieraaetus spp. to Aquila in the 2001 revisions to the 5th edition. However, in the 2009 revisions to the 6th edition, four species (including booted eagle) were moved back to Hieraaetus.
- Lepage, Denis. "Booted Eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus) (Gmelin, 1788)". Avibase. Retrieved 21 June 2014. (See also similar pages for the other species.)
- Clements, James F. (June 2007). The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World (6 ed.). Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press. pp. 47–48.
- The Clements Checklist team (23 December 2009). "Updates & Corrections – December 2009". The Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
Pages 47-48, Wahlberg’s Eagle Aquila wahlbergi, Booted Eagle Aquila pennata, Little Eagle Aquila morphnoides, Ayres’s Hawk-Eagle Aquila ayresii. All of these eagles belong in the genus Hieraaetus
- Gill, Frank; Donsker, David, eds. (2014). "New World vultures, Secretarybird, kites, hawks & eagles". IOC World Bird List, version 4.2. International Ornithologists' Union. doi:10.14344/IOC.ML.4.2. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "Hieraaetus Kaup, 1844". Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) [online database]. Retrieved 22 June 2014.
- Bunce, M.; Szulkin, M.; Lerner, H.R.L.; Barnes, I.; Shapiro, B.; Cooper, A.; Holdaway, R.N. (2005). "Ancient DNA provides new insights into the evolutionary history of New Zealand's extinct giant eagle". PLoS Biol. 3 (1): e9. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.0030009. PMC . PMID 15660162.
- Collinson, Martin (June 2006). "Splitting headaches? Recent taxonomic changes affecting the British and Western Palaearctic lists". British Birds. 99: 306–323.
- Lerner, H.R.L.; Mindell, D.P. (2005). "Phylogeny of eagles, Old World vultures, and other Accipitridae based on nuclear and mitochondrial DNA" (PDF). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 37: 327–346. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2005.04.010. PMID 15925523.
- Clark, William S. (1–8 November 1986). The rufous morph of the Booted Eagle. International Bird Identification: Proceeedings of the 4th International Identification Meeting. Eilat: International Birdwatching Centre Eilat. pp. 21–24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hieraaetus pennatus.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Hieraaetus pennatus|
- Booted Eagle species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds
- Booted eagle Photos at Oiseaux.net
- Ageing and sexing (PDF; 4.2 MB) by Javier Blasco-Zumeta & Gerd-Michael Heinze
- Booted Eagle from Nagpur, India, photo by Anuj Kale
- Booted Eagle on Eagle Directory
- Booted Eagle on the Global Raptor Information Network
- BirdLife species factsheet for Hieraaetus pennatus
- Booted eagle videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Booted eagle photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)
- Interactive range map of Hieraaetus pennatus at IUCN Red List maps
- Audio recordings of Booted eagle on Xeno-canto.