Bootham is a district near the centre of the city of York, North Yorkshire, England. It is just outside Bootham Bar, one of the ancient gateways through the city walls of York. Its name is said to derive from an ancient description as 'the place of the booths', referring to the poor huts located just outside the city walls.
The following are in the Bootham area of York:
- Bootham School is a Quaker boarding school.
- Bootham Park Hospital is a psychiatric hospital, part of the North Yorkshire and York Primary Care Trust
- Bootham Crescent is the home stadium of York City Football Club
- Ingram House, built in the late 1630s
- 'Anglo-Scandinavian antiquities', A History of the County of York: the City of York. British History Online. 1961. pp. 332–336. Retrieved 18 May 2009.
|This York location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|