Bootleg (TV series)
|Written by||Alex Shearer|
|Directed by||Ian Gilmour|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||3|
|Original network||BBC One|
|Original release||8 December– 22 December 2002|
Bootleg is a 2002 miniseries for children, commissioned by the BBC and based on a book of the same name by Alex Shearer. It was shown as a three-part series in the UK, with subsequent broadcasts in Australia and all over the world.
The film is about a new political party called the "Good for You" (abbreviated as GFY) which comes into power and bans chocolate. Two kids named Smudger Moore and Huntley Hunter want to get their chocolate back. They begin by selling bootleg chocolate, and go on to join an underground resistance organization.
The film climaxes in a huge revolution where people take to the streets. They demand that chocolate be brought back, and that the government be overthrown.
It tells us about how they face ups and downs on their way.
The way in which the revolution is triggered, by a group seizing a "terrorist-proof" broadcasting studio to broadcast a message of resistance, has a remarkable resemblance to V's broadcast in the graphic novel V for Vendetta (1982–1988).
The adaptation, commissioned by BBC was made into a three-part series and was first broadcast in the United Kingdom and later in Australia.
The manga adaptation was done by Japanese manga artist, Aiji Yamakawa. It was serialized in Shueisha's shōjo monthly manga magazine, Bessatsu Margaret from its 2nd issue and ended on the 15th issue of the magazine in the year 2008.
It has only one volume and was released on October 2008.
The anime adaptation of the manga is written by Kiyoko Yoshimura and animated by Production I.G with original character designs provided by Aiji Yamakawa. voice actor Fumie Mizusawa and Toshiyuki Toyonaga voices the main characters, Smudger Moore and Huntley Hunter respectively and Japanese singer, Maaya Sakamoto voicing Carol Hunter.
The adaptation's theme song and insert song are sung by Kana Nishino. The theme song's title is Make Up and the insert song is titled as Kirari and is released under SME Records.
- Smudger Moore – Fumie Mizusawa
- Huntley Hunter - Toshiyuki Toyonaga
- Louise Bubby - Mikako Takahashi
- Director of Headquarters - Katsuyuki Konishi
- Ron Moore - Keiji Fujiwara
- Joe Crawley - Kenjirō Tsuda
- Carol Hunter - Maaya Sakamoto
- Kylie Moore - Rie Nakagawa
- John Blades - Tatsuhisa Suzuki
- "UK's Bootleg Novel Animated for Mobile Phones in Japan". Anime News Network. 14 February 2008. Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- "Amazon.com: Bootleg: Alex Shearer: Books". Retrieved 19 March 2009.
- "チョコレート・アンダーグラウンド: 紀伊國屋書店BookWeb". Retrieved 22 April 2009.
- "チョコレート・アンダーグラウンド ｜ CHOCOLATE UNDERGROUND - Cast list". Retrieved 22 April 2009.