Maritime Border Command (Australia)
Maritime Border Command (MBC), is a multi-agency task force embedded within the Australian Border Force, that is the lead civil maritime security authority to coordinate the protection of Australian offshore assets.
The Command was established in 2005 originally named the Joint Offshore Protection Command, in October 2006 it was renamed to the Border Protection Command and was again renamed in July 2015 to coincide with the establishment of the Australian Border Force.
The Command is constituted by elements of the Australian Border Force (ABF) and the Australian Defence Force (ADF), with its headquarters in Canberra and is part of the Operations Group of the ABF. The Australian Border Force is part of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Since September 2013, MBC has been part of Operation Sovereign Borders, which operates as a Joint Agency Taskforce. The Commander of OSB is Lieutenant General Angus Campbell.
The MBC delivers a coordinated national approach to offshore protection by operating as a single maritime surveillance, response and interception agency.
It detects and deters a wide range of illegal activities using a combination of ABF and Defence aircraft and vessels. ABF response assets include Coastwatch aircraft and Marine Unit patrol vessels. Its activities take place under a variety of legislation covering areas such as customs, fisheries, quarantine, immigration, environment and law enforcement.
The Command is responsible for coordinating and controlling operations to protect Australia's national interests against the following maritime security threats:
- Illegal exploitation of natural resources
- Illegal activity in protected areas
- Unauthorised maritime arrivals
- Prohibited imports/exports
- Maritime Terrorism
- Compromise to Bio-security
- Marine pollution.
|Rank||Name||Service||Term began||Term ended|
|Commander Border Protection|
|Rear Admiral||James Goldrick AM, CSC, RAN||Navy||October 2006||May 2008|
|Rear Admiral||Allan du Toit AM, RAN||Navy||May 2008||February 2010|
|Rear Admiral||Tim Barrett AM, CSC, RAN||Navy||February 2010||December 2011|
|Rear Admiral||David Johnston AM, RAN||Navy||December 2011||December 2013|
|Rear Admiral||Michael Noonan AM, RAN||Navy||December 2013||14 January 2016|
|Commander Maritime Border Command|
|Rear Admiral||Peter Laver||Navy||14 January 2016||Incumbent|
- "Maritime Border Command – Australian Border Force". Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Department of Immigration and Border Protection – Annual Report 2015–16" (PDF). Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Maritime Border Command's History – Australian Border Force". Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Retrieved 7 December 2016.