Bordertown (Finnish TV series)
Sorjonen title card
|Created by||Miikko Oikkonen|
|Country of origin||Finland|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Running time||58 minutes|
|Original network||Yle TV1|
|Picture format||16:9 (1080i50)|
|Audio format||2.0 surround|
|Original release||October 16, 2016– present|
Bordertown (Finnish: Sorjonen) is a Finnish police crime drama television series created by Miikko Oikkonen and starring Ville Virtanen as Detective Inspector Kari Sorjonen. It premiered in Finland on 16 October 2016 on Yle TV1.. Season 2 is scheduled to air in Fall 2018.
Detective Inspector Kari Sorjonen is one of the most respected officers at the National Bureau of Investigation in Finland when his wife barely survives brain cancer. Sorjonen then takes a job as the new police chief of Lappeenranta and moves his family to the idyllic small town near the border of Russia for a more peaceful life. But life turns out to be less than peaceful there.
Cast and characters
- Ville Virtanen as Detective Inspector Kari Sorjonen
- Matleena Kuusniemi as Pauliina Sorjonen
- Anu Sinisalo as Detective Constable Lena Jaakkola
- Lenita Susi as Katia Jaakkola
- Kristiina Halttu as Detective Superintendent Taina Perttula
- Olivia Ainali as Janina Sorjonen
- Ilkka Villi as Detective Constable Niko Uusitalo
- Max Bremer as HP Lund (Coroner Hannu-Pekka Lund)
- Matti Laine as Risto Susi-Huhtala
- Jasmin Hamid as Jenna "Jänis" Luhta
- Janne Virtanen as Robert Degerman
- Mikko Leppilampi as Mikael Ahola
- Laura Malmivaara as Anneli Ahola
- Niina Nurminen – Johanna Metso
- Elias Salonen as Elias Ström
- Eriikka Väliahde as Satu-Maria Porttila
Development and production
This section needs expansion with: creation, production entities, filming, music, and forthcoming season 2. You can help by adding to it. (May 2018)
Bordertown is produced for Yle by Fisher King Production and Federation Entertainment. The series was presented at the MIPTV Media Market in Cannes on 3 April 2016, where it competed in the MIPDrama Screenings for the "Coup de Coeur" award.
The series premiered on Yle TV1 on 16 October 2016. The debut was watched by over one million viewers (1/5 of Finland population).
International distribution rights for Bordertown were acquired from Federation Entertainment in October 2016 by Sky Deutschland for Germany, CanalPlay for France, and VRT for Flanders (Dutch-speaking Belgium). Netflix acquired rights in February 2017 for the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland, Eastern Europe, Russia, and the Netherlands. Streaming of Season 1 became available on Netflix on 31 March 2017.
Awards and nominatons
- "Nordic Noir gets a lighter Finnish". Drama Quarterly. July 28, 2016. Retrieved 23 June 2018.
- Ainamo-McDonald, Maria (23 August 2016). "Sorjonen – uusi kotimainen rikossarja". Yle (in Finnish). Retrieved 1 December 2017.
(Sorjonen - a new domestic crime series)
- Pham, Annika (2 May 2017). "Summer shoot for Bordertown Season 2". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "Bordertown". Fisher King Production. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Keslassy, Elsa (March 9, 2016). "Federation, Fisher King Team on Nordic Noir Series 'Bordertown'". Variety. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Hopewell, John (April 2, 2016). "'Marseille's' Pascal Breton on 'Bordertown,' Nordic Noir, Big Euro Co-pros and Crucial Change in Intl. TV (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Bordertown is coming to MipTV". ttvnews. TodotvMedia. March 10, 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Federation taking buyers to Bordertown". Television Business International. 22 March 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Newby, Julian (May 11, 2016). "MIPTV Fiction Wrap: Drama takes centre stage". MIPTrends. MIP Markets. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Bordertown Begins Filming Season Two This August". Nordic Drama. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- Pham, Annika (10 October 2016). "Bordertown Sells to Germany-France-Belgium". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Åkman, Erika (28 February 2017). "Suomalainen rikosdraama nähdään nyt myös USA:ssa! Netflix osti supersuositun Sorjosen". Ilta-Sanomat (in Finnish). Retrieved 15 May 2018.
(Finnish crime drama is now seen also in the USA! Netflix acquires the super popular Sorjonen)
- Vestrheim, Emma (3 March 2017). "Netflix picks up Finland's Bordertown". Cinema Scandinavia. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Pham, Annika (16 January 2017). "Clean sweep for Bordertown at Finnish Emmys". Nordisk Film & TV Fond. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- Vestrheim, Emma (17 January 2017). "BORDERTOWN wins at the Finnish Emmy's". Cinema Scandinavia. Retrieved 14 May 2018.