Boring Test Tunnel
|Other name(s)||Hawthorne test tunnel|
|Route||West 120th Street|
|Start||SpaceX car park|
|No. of stations||3|
|Work begun||17 December 2016|
|Opens||18 December 2018|
|Operator||The Boring Company|
(1.14 mi; 6,000 ft)
|No. of lanes||1|
|Operating speed||205 km/h (127 mph)|
|Width||3.8 metres (12.5 ft)|
The Boring Test Tunnel is a test tunnel in Hawthorne, California, United States that was completed by The Boring Company in late 2018. The single-bore tunnel was constructed during 2017‒2018 using a 4.2-metre (14 ft) diameter tunnel boring machine, giving a finished 3.8-metre (12 ft) internal diameter.
Boring Test Tunnel
The tunnel starts between the Dominguez Channel storm drain and Crenshaw Boulevard at an entrance pit constructed on car park land owned by SpaceX. A short straight section heading northwards is followed by a 530-foot-radius (161.5 m) curve westwards under West 120th Street, then a long straight tunnel, a slight curve and a final short straight to the Exit Shaft. The midpoint of the tunnel is planned to connect with a very short northwards spur to a small car parking system-style car elevator leading up inside a residential garage behind a house at 3834 West 119th Place.
On 17 December 2016, Elon Musk stated that he was frustrated with traffic jams, and would start building a tunnel. By April 2017, The Boring Company had obtained a second-hand tunnel boring machine, transported the machine to Hawthorne, and had it repainted in Boring Company colours.
On 31 January 2018, the Boring Company acquired the land around a family house at 3834 West 119th Place for $500,000. On 9 May 2018, the Boring Company acquired land on the corner of West 120th and Prairie Avenue for $2 million, purchasing the corner plots 309 and 308 at 12007 Prairie Avenue and Plots 304‒307 behind.
On 5 October 2018, the Hawthorne City Council granted an easement for up to 2,600 metres (8,600 ft) of tunnel, in exchange for a structural encroachment fee of $2.5 million. Permission for the first 210 metres (700 ft) of tunnel under SpaceX's own land had been obtained earlier.
On 17 October 2018, in preparation for opening "The Brick Store", the company applied for permission to paint the building at 12003 Prairie Avenue in The Boring Company black-and-white corporate colours.
- Lopatto, Elizabeth (19 December 2018). "I took a ride through Elon Musk's new tunnel in California". Retrieved 19 December 2018.
top speed is 40 miles per hour … 1.14 mile tunnel … one-mile test tunnel … year and a half to complete, … about $10 million, not counting research and development
Hawkins, Andrew (24 May 2019). "Elon Musk's Boring Company staged a race between a Tesla in a tunnel and one on the road". Retrieved 15 June 2019.
the Tesla in the tunnel hit a maximum speed of 127 mph
- Shadbehr, Arnold; Miyahira, Russ (22 August 2017). Agenda Item No. 6 (Report). Agenda Bill. City of Hawthorne City Council. p. 42.
strip of land 15 feet (4.6 m) wide … beginning of a non-tangent curve concave south westerly and having a radius of 530.00 feet (161.5 m) … 13.56 feet (4 m) southerly of the 120th Street centerline … thence tangent to said curve … parallel with and distant southerly a distance of 7,721.21 feet (2,350 m) to a point of terminus
- Shadbehr, Arnold; James, Brian; Planning & Community Development (11 September 2018). Agenda Item No. 9 (Planning report) (Report). Agenda Bill. City of Hawthorne City Council.
- Musk, Elon [@elonmusk] (17 December 2016). "Traffic is driving me nuts. Am going to build a tunnel boring machine and just start digging..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Muoio, Danielle (27 April 2017). "We just got our first glimpse of Elon Musk's new tunnel company". Business News.
- Parcel detail: 4048-011-032. Assessor Portal (Report). Los Angeles County. 31 January 2018.
3834 W 119TH PL Hawthorne CA 90250-3226 … TR=2603 E 60 FT EX OF ST of Lot 822 … Doc # 0104467 … DTT Sale Price: $485,004
- Parcel detail: 4046-008-027. Assessor Portal (Report). Los Angeles County. 9 May 2018.
12007 Prairie Ave, Hawthorne CA 90250-3107 … Corner Lot: Yes … *TR=Second add to Hawthorne*(ex of st) Lot 308 and (ex of sts) Lot 309 … Doc # 0456481 … DTT Sale Price: $1,995,019
- Parcel detail: 4046-008-028. Assessor Portal (Report). Los Angeles County. 9 May 2018.
4012 W 120th St, Hawthorne CA 90250-3107 … Corner Lot: No … M B 9-160 ex of st Lots 304 Thru 307 … Doc # 0456481 … DTT Sale Price: $1,995,019
- Huber, Norbert (5 October 2017). Minutes of a Special Meeting of the City Council (PDF) (Report). City of Hawthorne.
- James, Brian; Palmer, Christopher (October 17, 2018). Administrative Color Approval – The Brick Store (staff report) (Report). Hawthorne Planning Commission.
Project Location: 12003 Prairie Avenue (APN # 4046-008-027) … Project Applicant: The Boring Company
- Brackett, Ed (22 October 2018). "Rapid-transit test tunnel under LA will open to the public on December 10, Elon Musk says". CNBC.
- The Boring Company [@boringcompany] (6 December 2018). "Tunnel opening now set for . Need another few days to finish the snail habitat. More details soon!" (Tweet). Retrieved 13 December 2018 – via Twitter.
- Official website
- Geographic data related to Boring Test Tunnel at OpenStreetMap
- Boring Company tunnel presentation before Hawthorne City Council. 8 August 2017 – via YouTube.
- King, Gayle (19 December 2019). Elon Musk and Gayle King test drive his new Boring Company tunnel. CBS This Morning – via Youtube.
- LeBeau, Phil (19 December 2018). Elon Musk unveils Boring Company loop tunnel for electric cars. CBNC News.