16 April 1939|
Split, Kingdom of Yugoslavia
24 March 2008 (aged 68)|
Boris Dvornik (16 April 1939 – 24 March 2008) was a Croatian actor.
Born in Split to the family of a carpenter, Boris Dvornik discovered acting talent at an early age, while performing in children's plays. After studying to become an electrician, he began to pursue a full-time acting career. He studied at the National Acting School in Novi Sad, Serbia and later enrolled at the Drama Arts Academy of the University of Zagreb.
As a freshman, he was cast in the starring role of the 1960 Holocaust drama The Ninth Circle. A year later, he showed his versatility by appearing in the popular comedy Martin in the Clouds. This established Boris Dvornik as a big star of former Yugoslav cinema, comparable to Ljubiša Samardžić, Milena Dravić and Velimir "Bata" Živojinović (with whom he later developed a close friendship).
The zenith of Dvornik's popularity came in the 1970s with the role of Roko Prč in the cult series Naše malo misto. In the 1980s, after receiving acclaim as of one of the most renowned and prolific actors of the former Yugoslavia, Boris Dvornik mostly worked with the Croatian National Theatre in his native city of Split.
Over the years Dvornik developed a close friendship with Antun Vrdoljak. He talked him into getting involved in politics and in the 1992 elections Dvornik, as candidate of HDZ, was elected in the Split constituency. He soon realised that he had not the taste for politics and resigned his seat one month later.
In more recent years, Dvornik's career was affected by aftermath of a stroke and alcohol abuse, which manifested in a series of incidents, the most notorious being assault on a poll observer during the 2005 presidential elections.
Dvornik's two sons - Dino Dvornik and Dean Dvornik - were both renowned pop musicians.
Boris Dvornik suffered a stroke and died in the city he was born in, Split, on 24 March 2008, aged 68.
- The Ninth Circle (1960)
- Martin in the Clouds (1961)
- Face to Face (1963)
- Double Circle (1963)
- Winnetou and Old Firehand (1966)
- The Bridge (1969)
- When You Hear the Bells (1969)
- Battle of Neretva (1969)
- The Pine Tree in the Mountain (1971)
- The Battle of Sutjeska (1973)
- Occupation in 26 Pictures (1978)
- Cyclops (1982)
- Nausikaya (1996)
- Transatlantic (1998)
- Long Dark Night (2004)
- "Preminuo Boris Dvornik". b92.net (in Serbian). B92. 24 March 2008. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Boris Dvornik Dies". dalje.com. 24 March 2008. Archived from the original on 23 March 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Pijani Boris Dvornik u Delnicama vrijeđao građane". Index.hr (in Croatian). 1 August 2005. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Istinite splitske ćakule o Borisu Dvorniku". Nacional (in Croatian) (479). 18 January 2005. Archived from the original on 24 September 2009. Retrieved 23 March 2014.