Boris Tsirelson while a first-year student, in 1967
|Born||May 4, 1950|
Leningrad, Soviet Union
|Died||January 21, 2020 (aged 69)|
|Known for||Tsirelson's bound|
Gaussian isoperimetric inequality
|Thesis||General properties of bounded Gaussian processes and related questions (1975)|
|Doctoral advisor||Ildar Ibragimov|
Boris Semyonovich Tsirelson (May 4, 1950 – January 21, 2020) (Hebrew: בוריס סמיונוביץ' צירלסון, Russian: Борис Семёнович Цирельсон) was a Russian–Israeli mathematician and Professor of Mathematics at Tel Aviv University in Israel.
Tsirelson was born in Leningrad to a Russian Jewish family. From his father Simeon's side, he is the great-nephew of rabbi Yehuda Leib Tsirelson, chief rabbi of Bessarabia from 1918 to 1941, and a prominent posek and Jewish leader. He obtained his Master of Science from the University of Leningrad and remained there to pursue graduate studies. He obtained his Ph.D. in 1975.
Contributions to mathematics
- Tsirelson's bound, in quantum mechanics, is an inequality, related to the issue of quantum nonlocality.
- Tsirelson space is an example of a reflexive Banach space in which neither a l p space nor a c0 space can be embedded.
- The Tsirelson drift, a counterexample in the theory of stochastic differential equations.
- The Gaussian isoperimetric inequality (proved by Vladimir Sudakov and Tsirelson, and independently by Christer Borell), stating that affine halfspaces are the isoperimetric sets for the Gaussian measure.
- Boris Tsirelson at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "The School of Mathematical Sciences mourns the death of our colleague, Professor Boris Tsirelson". February 25, 2020. Archived from the original on February 26, 2020.
- Tsirelson, Boris (1998). "Within and beyond the reach of Brownian innovation". Doc. Math. (Bielefeld) Extra Vol. ICM Berlin, 1998, vol. III. pp. 311–320.
- Wehner, Stephanie (2006-02-14). "Tsirelson bounds for generalized Clauser-Horne-Shimony-Holt inequalities". Physical Review A. 73 (2): 022110. arXiv:quant-ph/0510076. Bibcode:2006PhRvA..73b2110W. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.73.022110.
- Mujica, J. (2001-04-01). "Ideals of holomorphic functions on Tsirelson's space". Archiv der Mathematik. 76 (4): 292–298. doi:10.1007/s000130050571. ISSN 0003-889X.
- Maurey, Bernard (1995-01-01). "A Remark about Distortion". In Lindenstrauss, J.; Milman, V. (eds.). Geometric Aspects of Functional Analysis. Operator Theory Advances and Applications. Birkhäuser Basel. pp. 131–142. arXiv:math/9306212. doi:10.1007/978-3-0348-9090-8_13. ISBN 9783034899024.