Borka Jerman Blažič
Borka Jerman Blažič is a Slovenian and Yugoslavian Internet pioneer, and the President of the Internet Society - Slovenia. She is also a computer networks scientist, founder and first general secretary of the Yugoslavian Network for the Academic and Education Community, which introduced the first Internet services in SFR Yugoslavia in 1991.
Borka Jerman Blažič graduated from the University of Skopje, Macedonia, obtained Master of Science degree at Faculty of Electric Engineering at University of Ljubljana, Slovenia and PhD at the Faculty of Informatics and Natural Sciences, University of Zagreb, Croatia. She has spent her post-doctoral studies at the Iowa State University in Ames, U.S.A.
In 1992-1993 she was project officer and chair of the TERENA (Trans European Research and Education Networks Association) Working Group on Internationalization of the Network services. In 1996-2000 she was member of TERENA Technical Committee.
Borka Jerman Blažič was the first elected chair of the European Council of the Internet Society Chapters (ISOC-ECC).
Prof. Dr. Borka Jerman Blažič is a full professor at the University of Ljubljana, Department of Economics and is heading the Laboratory for Open Systems and Networks at the Jožef Stefan Institute. There she is teaching electronic communications and information security. She's also running the program on Internet technology at the postgraduate international school Jožef Stefan. She is also a senior researcher at the Department for System and Computer Sciences of the Stockholm University.
Borka Jerman Blažič is a member of the Scientific Council of the European Privacy Association. In 2011 she was appointed as a member of the Grand Jury of the World Summit Awards. She is also a member of the Slovenian Governmental Council for Electronic communications.
Prof. Dr. Jerman Blažič has published hundreds of articles in international journals, conferences, books and was an invited speaker at many international conferences and workshops in the field of Information and Communication Technologies.
The international conference Information Society 2018 recognize the work of Borka Jerman Blažič and awarded her as "The first lady of Slovenian Internet". In 2018 she published the book "Don Kihot in Slovenia or how Internet has come in Slovenia". The book was published by eBesede and Jožef Stefan institut. The book introduces the history of computer networks development in the world and the work related to the first internet line in Slovenia in 1991. The independence of Slovenia and turmoil on the Balkans in that time are presented in the book as well.
- Internet Society - Slovenia
- Internet Society Newsletter, Volume 1, Number 1, 1 January 1992, page 14 Archived January 10, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Public profile at LinkedIn
- RFC 2130 of the IETF
- TERENA Pilot Multilingual Mail User Agent Project Testing Archived March 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Europe and the International Character Sets: Strategy of Implementation and Development of the Networked Services
- Call for proposals by Ms. Blazic
- ISOC ECC legal documents, page 12 and 13
- CV Page at the University Site[permanent dead link]
- Staff of the Lab
- Teachers at the Program Archived March 4, 2016, at the Wayback Machine
- People at the DSV
- List of Members Archived August 28, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- List of members of the Grand Jury
- List of Members Archived June 20, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Information Standards Quarterly, page 11
- Open Secure Model And Its Functionality In Networks With Value-Added Services[permanent dead link]
- An Infrastructure For Support Of Digital Signatures Archived November 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- [permanent dead link]
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- Predsednik Pahor je na slovesnosti v Predsedniški palači vročil državna odlikovanja news story from the site of the President of Slovenia
- Srebrni red za zasluge Ivanu Reberniku in Valeriju Gergijevu article (in Slovenian)
- Predsednik Pahor je na slovesnosti vročil državno odlikovanje prof.dr.Borki Jerman Blažič News story at ISOC-Slovenia