|Genres||Black metal, progressive metal, folk metal|
|Associated acts||Age of Silence, Arcturus, Cronian, Dimmu Borgir, Enslaved, Fission, Gorgoroth, Havayoth, ICS Vortex, Immortal, Lamented Souls, Otyg, Solefald, Spiral Architect, Thornbound, Ulver, Vintersorg, Waterclime, Soulfly|
|Members||Øystein G. Brun
Jens F. Ryland
Lars A. Nedland
|Past members||Ivar Bjørnson
Erik "Grim" Brødreskift
Borknagar is a progressive black metal band from Bergen, Norway, founded in 1995 by Øystein Garnes Brun. The band's style combines black metal and folk metal with progressive and melodic elements. Borknagar's lyrics often deal with philosophy, paganism, nature, and the cosmos.
Borknagar was founded by Øystein Brun, then a member of the Norwegian death metal band Molested, when he became tired of the brutal aspects of the band's music. Øystein formed Borknagar to explore a more melodic outlet of expression, inspired by the burgeoning black metal movement Norway was experiencing and looking to push the boundaries of what was considered "traditional" black metal music. He wrote all of the music and lyrics, and gathered together an all-star group of black metal musicians to play in his band, such as Infernus of Gorgoroth, Grim of Immortal and Gorgoroth, and Ivar Bjørnson of Enslaved. When Garm of Ulver, Head Control System, and Arcturus joined the project, it brought the band immediate attention. The band never even recorded a demo; they simply asked for a record contract on Malicious Records and were granted their request based on the strength of this lineup. Borknagar's music instantly gained fans and received positive press attention.
Borknagar has released ten albums to date. Their self-titled debut album features lyrics solely in Norwegian; all subsequent albums have featured lyrics written in English exclusively (however, The Olden Domain featured an instrumental track titled in Norwegian). Aside from Brun's lyrical contributions, the band has featured lyrics by other members as well: ICS Vortex from Arcturus and ex-Dimmu Borgir, drummer Asgeir Mickelson, keyboardist Lars Nedland and more recently by current vocalist Vintersorg from Otyg and his eponymous band. Bassist Jan Erik Tiwaz (a.k.a. Tyr) wrote the song 'The View of Everlast'. All of the band's records (excluding the original pressing of the debut album) have been released by the label Century Media. Borknagar has toured with various bands including Emperor, Peccatum, In Flames, Morbid Angel, and Cradle of Filth.
Borknagar released a lighter album, Origin, which is "an acoustic effort based entirely on the epic and progressive aspect of the band", according to Øystein G. Brun's statement on blabbermouth.net.
In late December 2007, the band signed a three-album deal with the Norwegian label Indie Recordings. In March 2008, Asgeir posted an announcement from Øystein on UltimateMetal forums stating that Erik Tiwaz and Jens F. Ryland had again become official members of the band, and that the band were aiming for a January 2009 release. In May 2008, Øystein released another statement announcing Asgeir's departure as the band's drummer, due to "evolving differences in musical ideas and visions [...] The split happens in friendly manner and with mutual respect for the decision that he has made. He will remain a good friend of the band.". A new drummer, the American David Kinkade, who has worked with Arsis and Malevolent Creation has joined the band since.
On August 25, 2010, the band announced that they were forced to cancel the South American tour due to reasons beyond their control.
In January 2011 the deal with Indie Recordings were terminated, and on March 28, 2011 Borknagar signed a new worldwide 3 album deal with Century Media Records.
On April 22, 2011, the band officially announced the return of ICS Vortex on both bass and vocals.
On February 22, 2012 it was announced on the Norwegian website Artisan that the new drummer for the band would be Baard Kolstad.
Throughout 2014 into 2015, the band had been hard at work writing and recording their next full-length album. Production had to be delayed due to injuries vocalist Vintersorg suffered in late 2014, but the recording was concluded in June.  Original vocalist Kristoffer Rygg is slated to provide guest vocals on the new record. 
- Studio albums
- Borknagar (1996, Malicious, Century Black)
- The Olden Domain (1997, Century Black)
- The Archaic Course (1998, Century Media)
- Quintessence (2000, Century Media)
- Empiricism (2001, Century Media)
- Epic (2004, Century Media)
- Origin (2006, Century Media)
- Universal (2010, Indie Recordings)
- Urd (2012, Century Media)
- Winter Thrice (2016, Century Media)
- Compilation albums
- For the Elements (1996–2006) (2008, Century Media)
- "Borknagar To Record Acoustic Album". blabbermouth.net. February 15, 2005. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- "Official Borknagar NEWS - Ultimate Metal Forum". Ultimatemetal.com. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "Drummer Asgeir Mickelson Quits Borknagar". blabbermouth.net. May 22, 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-30.
- "Borknagar Entering Studio in 2009, Announce New Drummer". SMNnews.com. 2008-10-30. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "Borknagar: New Album Title Revealed". blabbermouth.net. April 12, 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Borknagar Part Ways With Bassist blabbermouth.net. 2010-06-01. Retrieved on 2010-06-02.
- "ICS Vortex rejoins Borknagar". Blabbermouth. June 10, 2010. Retrieved June 10, 2010.
- "BORKNAGAR To Tour South America In September". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "ICS Vortex back with Borknagar". Artisannorway.com. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "New Borknagar drummer announced". artisannorway.com. Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- Official website
- Borknagar on Google+
- Borknagar on Facebook
- Borknagar official forum (at UltimateMetal)
- Borknagar discography at MusicBrainz
- Borknagar (Inside Articles at ArtisanNorway)