Born Villain (film)
|Directed by||Shia LaBeouf|
|Written by||Shia LaBeouf
|6 minutes and 11 seconds|
Born Villain is a short film directed by actor Shia LaBeouf in collaboration with Marilyn Manson. It was released on August 28, 2011, during its inaugural screening, at the L.A. Silent Theater. Produced as an accompaniment to the Born Villain album, the film was intended as the record's promotional "trailer". The music heard in the video is the song "Overneath the Path of Misery", a track from Born Villain.
Background and development
The idea for the film originated after Manson and LaBeouf struck up a friendship at a concert of The Kills. The actor, who "has always been intrigued" with the singer, then offered to direct his next music video. In order to convince him, LaBeouf gave Manson a screening of Maniac — his directorial collaboration with American rappers Kid Cudi and Cage. Impressed, Manson commissioned the aspiring director to create a "making-of" video documenting the album's recording and production.
Manson and LaBeouf produced the film in July 2011 under the management of California-based production company Vanderson Inc. The film borrows a variety of "very intense, graphic imagery" from an number of sources including Alejandro Jodorowsky's 1973 film The Holy Mountain, Salvador Dalí and Luis Buñuel's 1929 short film Un Chien Andalou, Shakespeare and theology.
LaBeouf explained that "we tried to make Manson's 'Un Chien Andalou' macabre 'Macbeth' — that's sort of what that became." Manson described his intention with the film as "both an homage and a mockery of the history of cinema." On August 17, Sablan leaked the film's official website on his Twitter blog. The website announced the project release date. Drummer Chris Vrenna has claimed that Born Villain is not a music video but "a full thing". He also mentioned that the film contain short clips of the album and its own score.
Campaign is a limited edition book by Shia LaBeouf (photographer), Karolyn Pho (photographer) and Marilyn Manson, which was released in August 2011 by LaBeouf's Grassy Slope Entertainment, Inc. The book is a visual accompaniment to Born Villain, and was accompanied by a DVD of the film.
- Coplan, Chris (September 1, 2011). "Marilyn Manson's Shia LaBeouf-directed short film: "Born Villain"". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Warner, Kara (August 31, 2011). "Shia LaBeouf Calls Marilyn Manson Video 'A Cool Diversion'". MTV News. Viacom. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Lecaro, Lina (September 13, 2011). "Marilyn Manson's Born Villain Tracks: We Heard Them First". LA Weekly. Voice Media Group. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Marilyn Manson: New Album Title Announced". Blabbermouth.net. September 2, 2011. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Rao, Mallika (August 31, 2011). "'Born Villain': The Shia LaBeouf/Marilyn Manson Collaboration Has Arrived (VIDEO)". The Huffington Post. AOL. Retrieved May 19, 2016.