Born for You
|Born for You|
Born for You title card
|Creative director(s)||Johnny Delos Santos|
|Music by||Emerzon Texon|
|Opening theme||Born for You by David Pomeranz|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||65 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Cathy Magdael-Abarrondo|
|Running time||30–38 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Dreamscape Entertainment TV|
|Original release||June 20– September 16, 2016|
Born for You is a 2016 Philippine musical drama television series directed by Onat Diaz and Jon Villarin, starring Janella Salvador and Elmo Magalona. The series premiered on ABS-CBN's Primetime Bida evening block and worldwide on The Filipino Channel on June 20, 2016, replacing The Story of Us.
An ancient Japanese myth tells the story about the Red String of Fate, it's when two people with connecting red strings are destined to meet and fall in love. A young hopeless romantic and a Celebrity Hearthrob who share the same love for music find themselves tangled up in their shared past and their connecting red string of fate.
The show ended on September 16, 2016 with a live concert finale held at the Kia Theatre, with a total of 65 episodes and it was replaced by Magpahanggang Wakas, but the schedule time is after FPJ's Ang Probinsyano, while Till I Met You took over Born for You's timeslot.
Sam Kazuko (Janella Salvador) is an aspiring Filipino singer who grew up in Japan. A hopeless romantic, she believes in the concept of Red string of fate, a Japanese Belief which says that an invisible red string connects a person to their destined soulmate. On the other hand, Kevin Sebastian (Elmo Magalona), a popular teen heartthrob in the Philippines and son of an OPM icon Mike Sebastian (Ariel Rivera), who popularized the song "Born For You", doubts the authenticity of love and destiny, because of the complicated relationship of his parents. Their common love for music is what brings Sam and Kevin together, but it also becomes an obstacle to their budding romance. Sam's father, Buddy (Bernard Palanca), composed the song "Born For You" for his wife, Cathy (Vina Morales), but Marge (Ayen Munji-Laurel), the daughter of the country's richest record label owner, stole the song and gave it to Mike in hopes of saving his music career. Buddy confronted Marge, and this resulted in an accident which caused Buddy's death. Following the death of Buddy, Cathy becomes an OFW in Japan in order to support Sam and her mother, Caring (Gina Pareño). She then meets a Japanese bonsai maker who offers to marry her so that she can bring Sam to Japan. As fate would have it, Kevin goes to Japan to promote his new single for his new album. There, Sam meets Kevin as they bump into each other in the Shibuya crossing. Kevin fell in love at first sight with Sam and pursues to know her even more. Kevin and Sam grows closer as Sam helps out as Kevin's translator. When it was time for Kevin to go back to the Philippines, he tells Sam he hopes to see her again. After Kevin goes back to the Philippines, Sam decides she wants to go back to the Philippines to be a singer. In the Philippines, Sam gets a job as a "Singing Delivery Girl" where she delivers flowers and sings as well.
- Vina Morales as Catherine "Cathy" Pelayo-Kazuko
- Ariel Rivera as Michael "Mike" Sebastian
- Ayen Munji-Laurel as Margaret "Marge" Marquez-Sebastian
- Gina Pareño as Caridad "Lola Caring" Pelayo
- Freddie Webb as Ralph Marquez
- Kyline Alcantara as Chloe Sebastian
- Ogie Diaz as Desmond
- Francis Magundayao as Allan
- Ysabel Ortega as Niña
- Neil Coleta as Patrick
- Young JV as Mix
- Jimboy Martin as Joms
- Alfred Alain as Funky
- Katya Santos as Tess
- DJ Durano as Leonard
- Jett Pangan as Marcus
- Paolo O'Hara as Boogie
- Joj Agpangan as Mica
- Smokey Manaloto as Jimmy
- Ashley Sarmiento as young Sam Kazuko
- Richmont Padayao as young Kevin Sebastian
- Bernard Palanca as Salvador "Buddy" Reyes
- Niña Dolino as Racquel
- Nyoy Volante as Mon
- Erik Santos as himself
- Karylle as herself
- Jhong Hilario as himself
- Teddy Corpuz as himself
- Raikko Mateo as Boogie Jr.
- Diego Loyzaga as himself
- Loisa Andalio as herself
- Negi as himself
- DJ Chacha Balba as herself
- Kit Thompson as Martin Gonzales
- Richard Yap as himself
- Boy Abunda as himself
|Born for You (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)|
|Soundtrack album by Janella Salvador, Elmo Magalona, and David Pomeranz|
|Released||August 30, 2016|
|Genre||OPM, Pop, Soundtrack|
|Language||Filipino, English, Japanese|
|Born for You (Sam & Kevin)|
|1.||"Born for You (Duet Version)"||Elmo Magalona and Janella Salvador||3:45|
|2.||"Pangarap Lang"||Janella Salvador||3:11|
|3.||"You'll Be Safe Here"||Elmo Magalona||4:32|
|5.||"Same Ground"||Janella Salvador||4:30|
|6.||"Ikaw (Duet Version)"||Janella Salvador and Elmo Magalona||4:00|
|7.||"Born for You"||David Pomeranz||4:21|
|9.||"Yume Dake Da (Pangarap Lang)"||Janella Salvador||3:11|
|10.||"Anata (Ikaw)"||Janella Salvador||3:16|
The project was announced on November 26, 2015. Janella Salvador was cast in the female lead role, while Elmo Magalona signed a two-year exclusive contract with ABS-CBN. Acting workshops were held the following days for Magalona and Salvador to "break the ice" and form their "chemistry." Casting began the following month, and Onat Diaz (who previously directed And I Love You So) was hired to direct. The drama is Ayen Munji-Laurel's first teleserye project in ABS-CBN, as well as Vina Morales and Ariel Rivera's reunion project three years after Maria Mercedes. Filming for the drama started in March 2016, shooting some scenes in Japan for the pilot week.
Ariel Rivera's character in the afternoon drama Doble Kara was killed off to give way for this project.
|PILOT EPISODE||FINALE EPISODE||PEAK||AVERAGE||SOURCE|
- BORN FOR YOU Trade Trailer: Coming in 2016 on ABS-CBN!. YouTube. ABS-CBN Entertainment. December 11, 2015. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "Elmo Magalona moves to ABS-CBN, pairs with Janella Salvador in new show". Rappler. November 27, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Elmo Magalona now a Kapamilya". ABS-CBN News. November 26, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "What Janella thinks of new leading man Elmo". ABS-CBN News. November 26, 2015. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "What Marlo Mortel thinks of Janella-Elmo tandem". ABS-CBN News. December 15, 2015. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "JANELLA SALVADOR AND ELMO MAGALONA TO TOPBILL UPCOMING KAPAMILYA TELESERYE". abscbnpr.com. November 26, 2015. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- "JANELLA, ELMO PROVE DESTINY EXISTS IN "BORN FOR YOU"". abscbnpr.com. June 7, 2016.
- "Heart helps untangle 'Born For You' finale". ABS-CBN News. September 17, 2016.
- "Elmo Magalona moves to ABS-CBN, pairs with Janella Salvador in new show". Rappler. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "Janella Salvador: Goodbye Marlo Mortel, hello Elmo Magalona?". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- "LOOK: Elmo-Janella series to be shot in Japan". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- "NATIONAL TV RATINGS (JUNE 20, 2016 – MONDAY)". abscbnpr.com. June 21, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "NATIONAL TV RATINGS (JUNE 24-26, 2016)". abscbnpr.com. June 28, 2016. Retrieved June 28, 2016.