Borough House Plantation
|Location||SC 261, N. Kings Hwy.|
Stateburg, South Carolina
|Architect||William Wallace Anderson, M.D.|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival, Rammed earth|
|Part of||Stateburg Historic District (#71000809)|
|NRHP reference #||72001224|
|Added to NRHP||March 23, 1972|
|Designated NHL||March 23, 1972|
|Designated CP||February 24, 1971|
Borough House Plantation, also known as Borough House, Hillcrest Plantation and Anderson Place, is an historic plantation on South Carolina Highway 261, 0.8 miles (1.3 km) north of its intersection with U.S. Route 76/US Route 378 in Stateburg, in the High Hills of Santee near Sumter, South Carolina. A National Historic Landmark, the plantation is noted as the largest assemblage of high-style pisé (rammed earth) structures in the United States. The main house and six buildings on the plantation were built using this technique, beginning in 1821. The plantation is also notable as the home of Confederate Army General Richard H. Anderson.
Description and history
The original house built in 1758 served at different times during the American Revolution as headquarters for both British General Lord Cornwallis and Continental Army General Nathanael Greene. The second house was built in 1820 of rammed earth by William Wallace Anderson, M.D. On October 7, 1821, his wife, the former Mary Jane Mackensie, gave birth there to their son, Richard H. Anderson, the future Confederate Army general. Stateburg was originally called Stateborough, and when the town was laid out, Borough House was the only residence in it, hence the name.
In 1850-1852, Dr. Anderson chaired the committee that built the Church of the Holy Cross of rammed earth across the road from Borough Hall. In 1851, Joel Roberts Poinsett, physician, American statesman and botanist (for whom the poinsettia is named), died while visiting Dr. Anderson and was buried in the churchyard across the road.
- List of National Historic Landmarks in South Carolina
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Sumter County, South Carolina
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Borough House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Archived from the original on 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Richard K. Anderson, Jr. (January 15, 1988). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Borough House Plantation" (pdf). National Park Service. and Accompanying nine photos, exterior and aerial, from 1978, 1979, 1985, and 1986 (32 KB)
- Borough Plantation - Stateburg, Sumter County, South Carolina SC
- Dick Anderson Chapter #75, United Daughters of the Confederacy
- Page&book=2&volume=13&page=35 Anderson, Sallie B., Plantation Names Near Stateburg, Names in South Carolina, November 1966, vol. 13, p, 31[dead link]
- History of Church & Joel R. Poinsett
- Paper on Rammed Earth with a History of Church of the Holy Cross
- Borough House Plantation, Sumter County (SC Hwy 261, Stateburg vicinity), at South Carolina Department of Archives and History
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. SC-362, "Borough House, West Side State Route 261, about .1 mile south side of junction with old Garners Ferry Road, Stateburg, Sumter County, SC", 66 photos, 4 color transparencies, 30 measured drawings, 55 data pages, 7 photo caption pages
- HABS No. SC-242, "Borough House, Dr. Anderson's Office", 8 photos, 2 measured drawings, 8 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-345, "Borough House, Playhouse", 4 photos, 4 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-346, "Borough House, Hay Barn", 5 photos, 4 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-363, "Borough House, Dependency", 1 photo, 1 measured drawing, supplemental material
- HABS No. SC-364, "Borough House, Dry Well Shelter", 4 photos, 10 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-365, "Borough House, Hooper Tombs", 1 photo, 5 data pages
- HABS No. SC-366, "Borough House, Kitchen-Storehouse", 10 photos, 1 measured drawing, 9 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-367, "Borough House, School", 12 photos, 12 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-368, "Borough House, Weaving House", 4 photos, 9 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-369, "Borough House, Cook's House", 3 photos, 11 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. SC-511, "Borough House, Chicken Brooder", 4 photos, 2 photo caption pages
- TopoQuest map of Borough Plantation