Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (November 2010)|
|Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University|
|Київський університет імені Бориса Грінченка|
|Motto||Освіта - сутність часу!|
Motto in English
|Education is essence of the Time!|
Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University (Ukrainian: Київський уніерситет імені Бориса Грінченка) is a higher education institution. The University was established by Kyiv municipal council  through reorganization of Kyiv regional Teachers Training Institute named after B. D. Grinchenko. The University belongs to communal property.
According to the decision of Kyiv municipal council of 8 October, 2009 Kyiv Municipal Pedagogical University named after B.D. Grinchenko was renamed to Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University and the University's status also changed. The University was transformed from pedagogical profile to a multi-profile classic educational institution, which enabled the University to expand its activities and have more educational majors, ensuring full satisfaction of educational requirements of Kyiv dwellers, meeting the needs of Kyiv and its region. In implementing these tasks the University’s activity is aimed at achieving high standards and becoming an institution of European level.
The University consists of six Institutes and 1 university college with more than 8000 students. There are 35 operating departments. The scientific-pedagogical staff at the University includes 49 PhDs, 184 EdSs., 434 teachers. The University offers 10 Master, 12 Specialist and 12 Bachelor level programmes. Each year around 6000 teachers and school principals enhance their skills and get qualified at the University. The University provides PhD and Doctorate training.
- Institute of In-service Training in Education
- Institute of Society
- Institute of Human Sciences
- Humanitarian Institute
- Pedagogical Institute
- Art Institute
- University College.
The Leaders of the University
- Victor Ogneviuk - Rector, Doctor of Philosophy, Professor, Full Member of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine.
- The University history began in 1874 with the establishment of Pedagogical courses for Teacher training in Kyiv.
- In 1919 Borys Grinchenko Pedagogical Institute began operating, to be later reorganized into Kyiv Pedagogical Courses named after Borys Grinchenko. These courses assimilated a few other similar pedagogical courses, which lead to foundation of Kyiv Teacher Training Institute in 1939.
- In 1993 Kyiv Teacher Training Institute was given the name of Borys Grinchenko. It was providing in-service training for teachers of Kyiv schools.
- In 2002 it was reorganized into Kyiv Municipal Pedagogical University named after Borys Grinchenko, and it started offering to receive degrees in teaching.
- In 2007 a new era began in the university’s development. A new rector, Viktor Ogneviuk, has made a commitment to transform the university, making it a modern, dynamic and European-oriented educational institution. On 8th October, 2008 the university was renamed into Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University, becoming a classical university and now having the opportunity to offer different majors, not only teacher training. This has allowed to enroll more students and increase diversity.
- September, 2008 - University Academic Council developed and approved the Concept of University Development for 2008-2012 years.
- January 1,2008 – Institute of Psychology and Social Pedagogy, Humanitarian Institute, Institute of Pre-School, Elementary and Art Education, University college were established and included into the University structure
- May 20, 2008 – a new University building opened its doors for the University academics and students.
- September, 1, 2008 – Institute of Leadership, Education Legislation and Politics started its work in the structure of the University.
- 2008-2009 academic year – ten specialties (majors) got the highest (IVth) accreditation level
- October 8, 2009 – Kyiv Municipal Pedagogical University named after B.D. Grinchenko was renamed into Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University.
- 2010 – Six Institutes (Humanitarian, Pedagogic, Arts, Leadership and Social Sciences, Psychology and Social Pedagogy, In-Service Training) and a University College, as well as scientific and methodological centres and research laboratories have been functioning in the structure of the University.
- 2010 – Borys Grinchenko Museum was opened in our University.
- June, 2010 – University obtained the highest (IVth) accreditation level
- September 1, 2010 - number of students is six thousand. University trains specialists in 7 Junior Specialists programs, 12 Bachelor programs, 11 Master's programs.
- September 2010 – Viktor Ogneviuk, Rector of the University signed the University Magna Charta in Bologna, Italy
- 2010-2011 – University started the social project "With Kyiv and for Kyiv"
- August 22, 2011 – monument to Borys Grinchenko was opened for the charitable contributions of academics, students and education employees with the support of Kyiv.City Council
- On the 14th – 17th 2011 in Malmo, Sweden, the General Assembly of European Association for the Education of Adults (EAEA) approved the application form of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University as an Associate Member of EAEA.
- June 26, 2012 – University held the seventh place in the official ranking of Ukrainian classic universities.
- August 28, 2012 – University Academic Council renamed the Institute of Leadership and Social Sciences into the Institute of Society
- September 1, 2012 – number of University students is more than 7 thousands. University trains specialists in 12 Junior Specialist programs, 34 Bachelor programs, 18 Master's programs and 18 PhD programs.
- October 4, 2012 – Center of Practical Students Training was opened for the students specialized in Elementary Education and Pre-School Education headed by Tamara Proshkuratova, the Hero of Ukraine, Honorable teacher with a 25 year teaching history..
- November 15, 2012 – Viktor Ogneviuk was re-elected for the second term as the Rector of Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University.
- November 19, 2012 – University became the member of the International Association of the Universities.
- On the 25th of January 2013, in Istanbul, the last EUA Council has approved Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University application for an individual associate membership.
The University education and scientific base
In December 2007, two reading rooms for students, graduates and teachers were open in the University. The funds of the University Library increased significantly (360 thousand copies). New major steps were made in the fields of information studies: information computer center was launched, as well as four computer labs and laboratory of innovative technologies studies.
Each year on December 9 the University celebrates Borys Grinchenko's birthday, and this day means the Day of the University.
Actual science issues of University Activity are constantly discussed by the Academic Board of the University, as well as by Student scientific society.
To improve the professional skills of the faculty scientific-methodological seminar regularly operates at the University.
The collection of scientific works ‘Teacher Education: Theory and Practice. Psychology. Pedagogy’ is being published by the University since 2001. It is included into the list of scientific professional publications by the State Accreditation Commission of Ukraine.
Scientific research work is carried out in a spirit of cooperation and fruitful contacts with the National Academy of Pedagogical science of Ukraine and its research institutions. Respective cooperation agreement was signed in 2007.
In 2007 postgraduate major 13.00.04 - Theory and Methods of Professional Education opened in the University on a permanent basis.
The Student Scientific Society works at the University. The magazine of the student’s research papers ‘Scientific studies of the students ‘grinchenkivtsiv’ has been published since 2007, the best scientific works of future teachers are published there.
The University has a cooperation agreement with a range of foreign institutions. Among them are: International Association of University support Waldorf Education, Pedagogical University of Heidelberg (Germany), University of Szczecin (Poland) and others.
The University has its original image and is an integral part of Kyiv City education.
Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University has a structure that includes:
- General university departments of educational, scientific and methodical nature (centers, laboratories);
- General university departments of administrative character (departments, accounting);
- 6 institutes;
- 1 college.
The university has distributed campus structure, which includes:
- Administrative building (at 18/2 Bulvarno-Kudriavska street);
- Academic buildings (at 17 Tuchiny ave., 13b Tymoshenko str., 16 Gagarina ave., 18 /2 Davydova Blvrd.)
- decision of Kyiv municipal council of 20th June, 2002 (session ІІ conferense XXIV) № 82/82 20.06.2002 р.)