|Headquarters||Reading, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Jim Boscov, Chairman & CEO|
|Products||Clothing, footwear, bedding, furniture, jewelry, beauty products, candy, household goods, toys/games, decor, small appliances|
|Revenue||$1.051 billion USD (2006)|
Boscov's is a family-owned department store with 50 locations in the eastern United States. The current company chairman is Jim Boscov, who took over after his uncle Albert Boscov died in February 2017.
Solomon "Sol" Boscov was of Jewish descent, he immigrated to Reading, Pennsylvania in 1902. He had $1.37 in cash on arrival in the United States. He worked as a traveling salesman with an initial $8 worth of merchandise. Because he spoke Yiddish, he was able to converse with those people in Berks County who spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. Solomon's fortunes changed in 1911 when he opened the first Boscov's store in Reading to much fanfare. With growing notoriety, Boscov's began expanding in the Pennsylvania suburbs through the 1960s. As early as 1968, Boscov's had five stores, 2,200 workers, and annual sales exceeding $50 million. Solomon Boscov retired and was succeeded by his son Albert "Albie" Boscov as head of the company in 1960.
In October 2011, Boscov's opened a new store at the Monmouth Mall in Eatontown, New Jersey in a former A&S space. This marked the first expansion for the company since the great recession of 2008 where the company filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. In November 2011, Boscov's announced plans to open a location at the White Marsh Mall in White Marsh, Maryland. The location opened on October 5, 2012. On May 15, 2012, Boscov's announced it would be opening a location in the Woodbridge Center Mall in Woodbridge, New Jersey in a former Fortunoff space. Boscov's opened a new Ohio location at the Ohio Valley Mall in October 2013. In October 2015, Boscov's opened a new Hartford, Connecticut store at the Westfield Meriden Mall in a former JCPenney space. In October 2016, Boscov's opened a store in the Sangertown Square Mall in New Hartford, New York in a former Sears space.
February 10 2017, Albert Boscov the son of Solomon Boscov, died at the age 87.
- "About Boscov's Department Stores". Boscov's. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Berksiana. Charles Schuyler Castner. 1976. Page 321
- Berksiana. Charles Schuyler Castner. 1976. Page 319
- Berksiana. Charles Schuyler Castner. 1976. Page 323
- "About Boscov's Department Stores". Boscovs.com. Retrieved January 28, 2011.
- "Boscov's to Open in Woodbridge Center Next Year". Woodbridge, New Jersey Patch. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- "Boscov's Coming to Ohio Valley Mall". The Intelligencer. Retrieved November 23, 2016.
- Courant, Hartford. "Boscov's Department Store To Open At Meriden Mall, Adding 300 Jobs". Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- "Boscov's to open new store at Millcreek Mall". YOURERIE. 2016-12-07. Retrieved 2017-01-11.