Boss Engira Bhaskaran
|Boss Engira Bhaskaran|
|Directed by||M. Rajesh|
K. S. Sreenivasan
|Written by||M. Rajesh|
|Music by||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan|
Vasan Visual Ventures
|Distributed by||Red Giant Movies
The Show People
|Box office||₹37 crore|
Boss Engira Bhaskaran (English: Boss alias Bhaskaran) is a 2010 Tamil romantic comedy film written and directed by M. Rajesh who earlier directed Siva Manasula Sakthi (2009). Starring Arya, Nayantara and Santhanam in lead roles, the film is produced by K. S. Sreenivasan and features music scored by Yuvan Shankar Raja and cinematography handled by Sakthi Saravanan.
The film revolves around a young happy-go-lucky man, Bhaskaran, who is unemployed and lives an easygoing life, neglecting his career and future. When he meets a young girl, Chandrika, in whom he falls in love, he is bound to change his lifestyle, in order to marry her eventually. The film released on 10 September 2010 to highly positive reviews and also became commercially successful. The tagline Nanbenda turned viral after release.
Bhaskaran (Arya) is a happy-go-lucky youth who is yet to complete his B. A. Degree, writing arrear examinations for years. His only friend is Nallathambi (Santhanam) who owns a Hair saloon named Thala-Thalapathi Saloon (named after the titles of actors Ajith and Vijay) which he received as dowry for marrying a woman who was two months pregnant. Bhaskaran, during an arrear exam, happens to meet a young lecturer Chandrika (Nayantara) and instantly gets attracted to her, though she disapproves of him because he attempted to copy during the exam.
Bhaskaran lives with his mother, Sivakami (Lakshmi Ramakrishnan), brother Saravanan (Panchu Subbu) who is a successful veterinarian and sister, Nithya (Monisha). When his brother marries Nandhini (Vijayalakshmi), he finds out that Nandhini's younger sister is Chandrika, and wishes to marry her. When he approaches his family for the alliance, everyone talks of his unemployed status which rankles him and causes him to leave his house to prove himself.
Bhaskaran faces many obstacles in his path to prove himself. He is insulted by Chandrika's father, and does not even have a place to live. After many difficulties, Bhaskaran, with the support of Nallathambi, establishes a tutorial for Class X students.nallathambi goes and get money from paulpandi (rajendran),a local don,who signs an agreement that if his son doesn't pass in exam he will take nallathambi's property and makes him to work in his cow dung.paulpandi reveals about his family.his father goes to x standard,but in examination he makes his teacher to write exam.his son paulpandi writes only four words in his paper with billhook symbol saying that make me pass otherwise i will kill you.his son sleeps in exam hall if anybody tries to wake him he will bite the teacher's hand.however in the end paulpandi's son start to study and make other's to listen in the class when baskar appoints a blind teacher. Despite early setbacks, he makes a very heavy profit on the deal, while his students top in the state,paulpandi's son pass in exam with good marks.paulpandi tore the agreement,offer's nallathambi huge amount of money with no interest, appreciates him for making his son to pass in exams. it also convinces Chandrika, who eventually reciprocates his love. However, Chandrika's father Shanmugasundaram (Chitra Lakshmanan) is against the marriage as he had once been insulted by a drunk Nallathambi, who also gave him the nickname "Mongoose Mandaiyan" (Mongoose Head). Shiva (Jiiva), a supposed "teetotaler", is introduced as Chandrika's prospective groom. Bhaskaran then confronts Shiva, explaining to him that he loves Chandrika. The two get into a fight soon after, but when Shanmugasundaram arrives at the spot, he learns the truth: Shiva was hired by Bhaskaran to fool everyone about his identity. Under Shiva and Bhaskaran's orders, a disappointed Shanmugasundaram finally is forced to unite Bhaskaran and Chandrika.
- Arya as "Boss" Bhaskaran
- Nayantara as Chandrika Shanmugasundaram
- Santhanam as "Thala Thalapathy" Nallathambi
- Subbu Panchu as Saravanan
- Chitra Lakshmanan as Shanmugasundaram alias Mongoose Mandayan
- Rajendran as Velpandi
- Ashvin Raja as Paalpandi
- Vijaylakshmi as Nandhini Shanmugasundaram
- Lakshmi Ramakrishnan as Sivakami
- Monisha as Nithya
- Poorni as Annapoorani
- Jiiva as Shiva (Special appearance)
- Shakeela as Parimala (Guest appearance)
The film was officially launched on 19 November 2009 at the AVM Studios, with the film starting shooting in December first week. Rajesh, following his sleeper hit Siva Manasula Sakthi, decided to make another comedy film and to cast Arya, who appeared in a cameo role in Siva Manasula Sakthi, in the titular role, while Jiiva in return will make a cameo appearance in the film. As the film's backdrop is set to be both village as well as city, the film was shot at various location including Thanjavur, Mysore and Trichy. A major part of the film was filmed at Kumbakonam, while a few scenes were shot in Chennai as well. Shooting was also carried on in the Swiss Alps, where some song sequences were picturized. The shooting was finished on 3 August 2010 with completing the last song that was canned at a set erected at Binny Mills near Chennai.
While Vasan Visual Ventures that produced Arya's Naan Kadavul, produced this film as well, Arya purchased the rights in the midst to release it under his own production banner "The Show People". The film's distribution rights, however, were again acquired by Red Giant Movies, led by Udhayanidhi Stalin, who would enact the lead role in Rajesh's next project.
|Boss Engira Bhaskaran|
|Soundtrack album by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Released||27 August 2010|
|Recorded||2009 - 2010|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Yuvan Shankar Raja chronology|
Following the success of Siva Manasula Sakthi, Yuvan Shankar Raja composed the musical score and soundtrack of Boss Engira Bhaskaran, too. The soundtrack album, which was released on 27 August 2010 at Sathyam Cinemas, contains 5 tracks, featuring lyrics penned by Na. Muthukumar.The soundtrack received positive response.
|1.||"Ada Boss Boss"||Sathyan||3:58|
|2.||"Yaar Intha Penthan"||Haricharan||5:01|
|3.||"Thathi Thaavum Paper Naan"||Karthik||4:44|
|4.||"Iyley Iyley"||Vijay Prakash||5:04|
|5.||"Mama Mama"||Vijay Yesudas, Shweta Mohan||4:16|
The satellite rights of the film were secured by Kalaignar. The film was given a "U" certificate by the Indian Censor Board. In November 2011, it was shown at the International Tamil Film Festival held in Uglich, Russia, alongside Thillana Mohanambal (1968), Chandramukhi (2005), Sivaji (2007), Angadi Theru (2010), Thenmerku Paruvakaatru (2010) and Ko (2011).
Boss Engira Bhaskaran sold 7.3 million tickets worldwide. It released on Eid day, the end of Ramadan, opening across 240 screens in Tamil Nadu with reportedly 95.5% average theatre occupancy, which, according to trade sources, was the best ever first day opening for Arya then, which resulted in an increase of the number of shows and screens. In its opening weekend, the film was said to have earned ₹58 lakh in Chennai, as reported by Behindwoods, while according to Sify.com, it grossed ₹65 lakh. At the end of the second weekend, the film had netted ₹10 crore from 275 screens. The film emerged as the second blockbuster in Arya's career since Arinthum Ariyamalum and the fifth most successful film of the year.
The film opened up to positive reviews. Sify stated that "Rajesh has pulled off the impossible, making a family comedy work a second time armed with nothing more than a few situational gaffes and couple of funny dialogues. It’s pure escapist fare and will work big time, as there is paucity of healthy entertainment for the family audiences." Indiaglitz wrote "Rajesh has made spoof of some contemporary Tamil films in an enjoyable manner." and "Boss Engira Baskaran is right there oozing with abundant energy and unlimited fun. Kudos to Udhayanidhi for choosing quality films with varied stories that leave an impression with the masses." Chennai Online specially pointed out the plus points of the film "The comic scenes aided by dialogues and the bonding between the two friends are a huge plus and reason enough to see the movie. The casting of each character has been aptly done with no room for excess anywhere making for one smooth ride all through. Nayan and Arya make an adequate pair though there are no great sparks of chemistry between them. However Nayan does make a pretty picture throughout."
Behindwoods gave 2.5 out of 5 and expressed that "Director Rajesh might just pull it off this time too because he’s got everything right for a comic caper. He also efficiently camouflages the saggy little portions in both the halves of his movie with crisply written dialogues. Perfect for a weekend in which you decide not to give your brain much work." A critic from the Times of India gave 3 out of 5 and praised the film saying "When the director shows Boss watching 'Annamalai' on TV and getting inspired, you are not surprised. But his excuses, when facing various career options, make Boss an original. The tutorial college angle may be predictable, but soon humour is back on track, and it is enjoyable. You will also come away with some amazing performances."
|2011||Vijay Awards||Best Comedian||Nallathambi|
The dialogue "Nanbenda" spoken by Santhanam in the film became famous and went viral after the release. The dialogue has inspired a film of same name. "The title, which means friend, was apt because it's a story about two friends. So we felt it will make sense to use it," the film's director Jagadish said. Jagadish is the former associate of filmmaker Rajesh.
- "Arya is Boss aka Baskaran". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "Boss, Nayan’s back in Tamil!". Times of India. 2009-10-21. Retrieved 2009-10-21.
- "Arya scores a century". Sify. 2010-12-19. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Nene Ambani Release Date|Nene Ambani Telugu Movie Releasing Date|Arya|Nayantara|Santhanam|". Movies.sulekha.com. 2010-12-17. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Nene Ambani audio launched in Prasads Labs, Hyderabad
- "Events - 'Boss Engira Baskaran' Movie Launch". IndiaGlitz. 2009-11-19. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Arya’s Boss Engira Bhaskaran launched!". Sify. 2009-11-20. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Arya is Boss aka Baskaran - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Jeeva's reciprocations for 'Boss'". Southdreamz.com. 2010-04-10. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- V Lakshmi. "Director Rajesh gets talking to Whatt’’s Hot on his upcoming project Boss Engira Baskaran.....". Times of India. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Nayantara is with ‘Boss Engira Baskaran’! - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Nayan moves to Chennai". Behindwoods. 2010-01-08. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Arya & Nayan goes to Swiss Alps". Sify. 2010-06-21. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Aarya and Nayantara to romance in Switzerland | preview - Movies". ChennaiOnline. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Boss Engira Bhaskaran shoot is complete". Sify. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Arya buys over ‘Boss Engira Baskaran’ - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Red Giant acquires Boss Engira Bhaskaran - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "‘Boss’ gets ready - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- "Suriya launches Boss Engira Baskaran audio". Sify. 2010-08-28. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Boss Engira Baskaran- Super Opening". Sify. 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (2010-09-13). "A big fat K’wood opening". Times of India. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- "Chennai box office (Sep 10 - 12)". Sify. 2010-09-15. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Boss Engira Baskaran - Behindwoods.com". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Chennai Box-office (Sep 17-19)". Sify. 2010-09-22. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- Boss Engira Baskaran was the 5th biggest hit of 2010
- "Movie Review:Boss Engira Bhaskaran". Sify. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Boss Engira Baskaran Tamil Movie Review". IndiaGlitz. 2010-09-10. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Movie Review: 'Boss Engira Baskaran' | Movie Review - Movies". ChennaiOnline. 2010-09-10. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Boss Engira Baskaran Movie Review - Tamil Movie Boss Engira Baskaran Movie Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Boss Engira Bhaskaran". The Times Of India. 2010-09-10.