Type of site
|Owner||Boston Globe Media Partners|
|Created by||The Boston Globe|
|Launched||October 30, 1995|
Boston.com was one of the first news websites on the public web, launched in late October 1995 by Boston Globe Electronic Publishing Inc., the Internet subsidiary of The Boston Globe. The domain name was purchased from the Boston-area cafe chain Au Bon Pain in exchange for print advertisements for charities chosen by Au Bon Pain's CEO.
On September 12, 2011, the Boston Globe launched a separate site at bostonglobe.com that put most content from its print edition behind a paywall. Boston.com still offers local news, sports, weather and leisure.
The site's editor is Kaitlyn Johnston.
Boston Globe Media Partners, which owns The Boston Globe, as well as Boston.com, operates a number of websites covering certain niche subjects. The sites share many resources, like office space, but are often branded separately.
The column inspired the 2018 memoir, “Can’t Help Myself: Lessons and Confessions from a Modern Advice Columnist,” from Grand Central Publishing. Love Letters runs online Monday to Friday and in the print version of the Globe on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
Realestate.boston.com is a regional website that offers advice on buying, selling, home improvement, and design with expert advice, insider neighborhood knowledge, the latest listings to buy or rent, and a window on the world of luxury living. The site's editor is Eileen Woods.
- "Boston.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". WHOIS. Retrieved 2016-09-30.
- "Globe launches on-line service". The Boston Globe. October 30, 1995.
- Beth Healy (October 8, 2009). "A familiar name, an interrupted record". The Boston Globe. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- "The Boston Globe". BostonGlobe.com.
- "Paywalled BostonGlobe.com launches, while Boston.com remains free". Poynter. September 12, 2011.
- "Boston Globe Launches Two Online Brands to Better Serve a Wide Array of Consumers and Advertisers" (Press release). New England Media Group.
- Boston.com on iTunes Preview
- Boston.com at the BlackBerry World