February 2006 issue of Boston
|Based in||Boston, Massachusetts|
About the magazine
The magazine is self-described as:
Sophisticated, intellectual, and full of charm, Boston is a world center of higher education, medicine, finance, and biotechnology, with some of the nation's leading cultural institutions, best restaurants, trendiest shopping, top universities, and smartest people. Then there's the other Boston: a city of power struggles, politics, expensive real estate, and cutting-edge music and arts.
The magazine claims a publication of 500,000 issues per month, its percentage of newsstand copies sold is among the highest of any magazine of any kind in the United States, and it has been named among the three best city magazines in the nation seven times in the last eight years by the City and Regional Magazine Association.
Best of Boston
"Best of Boston" is an award given by Boston magazine in an annual issue which is "the definitive guide to the city’s finest".
This award is given in a wide range of categories that vary from year-to-year. Recent awards include best clam chowder, cookware, day spa, gym, jewelry store, martini, mojito, pizza topping, shiatsu, teeth whitening, thai food, and many more. The Best of Boston awards are often specific; the 2006 awards for best nightclub were given in the sub-categories of dance, gay, lesbian, jazz, live music (small) and live music (large).
Many area businesses display these awards proudly, either in the form of a simple certificate or an engraved plaque. Along with the annual awards, Boston magazine also runs feature articles intended to quantify local resources, such as "best high schools, public and private."
Boston magazine produces several ancillary publications:
- Boston Home is a quarterly publication geared towards home owners and other people with an interest in interior design, landscaping, and so on.
- Boston Weddings is a biannual publication for wedding planners and brides-to-be.
- Boston magazine has been owned by the Philadelphia-based company Metrocorp (sometimes rendered in camel case as "MetroCorp") since 1971.
- WCVB-TV Channel 5, WBZ NewsRadio and MAGIC 106.7 collaborate and cross-promote with Boston magazine.
- Boston magazine is a member of the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME).
- "Alliance for Audited Media Snapshot Report - 6/30/2013". Alliance for Audited Media. June 30, 2013. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Boston magazine: About Boston magazine (via archive.org
- Best of Boston 2006
- Boston masthead