Boston Theater District
Washington Street Theatre District
|Architectural style||Late Gothic Revival, Italianate, Other|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||March 19, 1979|
Its shows range from Broadway shows to repertory-company productions. It is small compared to New York City's Theater District, and serves as a staging area for shows on their way to Broadway.
Plays were banned in Boston by the Puritans until 1792. Boston's first theater opened in 1793. In 1900, the Boston Theater District had 31 theaters, with 50,000 seats. In the 1940s, the city had over 50 theaters. Since the 1970s, developers have renovated old theaters.
Suffolk University bought the Modern Theater in 2008. It has since reopened and hosts a variety of performances. For their efforts, Suffolk won a Preservation Honor Award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 2011.
- Boston Opera House
- Charles Playhouse
- Cutler Majestic Theatre
- Colonial Theatre
- Modern Theatre
- Orpheum Theatre
- Paramount Theatre
- Wilbur Theatre
- Boston Theater Critics Association
- Boston Theater Marathon
- Buffalo Theater District
- Cleveland Theater District
- Houston Theater District
- Broadway Theater District (Los Angeles)
- Theater District, Manhattan
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Mara Vorhees (2009). Boston 4. Lonely Planet. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Patricia Harris; David Lyon (2004). Insiders Guide Off the Beaten Path: Boston: A Guide to Unique Places. Globe Pequot. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Travel Boston – City Guide and Maps. MobileReference. 2007. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Patricia Harris; Anna Mundow; David Lyon; Lisa Oppenheimer (2003). Compass American Guides: Massachusetts, 1st Edition. Random House. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Jerry Morris (2005). The Boston Globe Guide to Boston. Globe Pequot. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Greg Letterman; Katherine Letterman (2001). Walking Boston. Globe Pequot. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- David Lyon; Patricia Harris (2011). DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Boston. Penguin. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Tom Bross; Patricia Harris; David Lyon (2007). Boston. Penguin. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- Theater District Revival Continues With The Modern
- University Wins National Preservation Award Archived October 15, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Paramount Center
- Where's the Theater District: An Analysis of Boston's Theater District, by Kristin Hodgkins (1980)
- Boston Athaneum Theater History