Botanical Garden of Vilnius University
The garden was established by professor Jean-Emmanuel Gilibert of Vilnius University in 1781. In 1832 the Vilnius University and Botanical Garden were closed. In 1919, the Botanical Garden of the Polish Stefan Batory University was started in a new location, in Zakret (since 1945 Vingis). In 1975 territory of the garden was expanded, and since then the main part of the garden is in Kairėnai (address is: Vilnius, Kairėnų Street, 43), which is situated in Antakalnis elderate of Vilnius. There is also a department of the garden in Vingis Park.
- 2,500 taxa in Department of Dendrology
- 3,000 taxa in Department of Plant Systematic and Geography
- 3,200 taxa in Department of Floriculture
- 300 taxa in Department of Plant Genetic
- 750 taxa in Department of Pomology
- 100 taxa in Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Isolated Tissue Cultures
- Kłos, Juliusz (1937). Wilno : przewodnik krajoznawczy. Wilno: Polskie Towarzystwo Turystyczno-Krajoznawcze. p. 162.
|This Lithuanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This garden-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|