The lead section of this article may need to be rewritten. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mac OS X
Linux, Mac OS X, Windows|
April 19, 2012
May 1, 2014
|Genre(s)||Graphic adventure game|
Botanicula is a point-and-click adventure game developed by Amanita Design. The game was released on April 19, 2012, for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The game was later ported to iOS and Android. Botanicula is helping the World Land Trust to protect hundreds of acres of rainforest.
Like the previous games from Amanita Design, in Botanicula the player controls a protagonist (or multiple protagonists) while exploring the environment, solving puzzles and collecting items that are required for the obstacles that come in their way. The player is able to interact with other creatures and find easter eggs that are present in the lush environment. Like Machinarium, the game has no spoken or written dialogue.
Botanicula follows the adventure of five botanical creatures (named Mr. Lantern, Mr. Twig, Mr. Poppy Head, Mr. Feather and Mrs. Mushroom) who are trying to save the last seed of their home tree from evil parasitic creatures that have infested their home.
- Mr. Lantern - The main protagonist of Botanicula. He is a small orange creature. He can absorb seeds within his body. It makes him glow and gives him power.
- Mrs. Mushroom - The second playable character. She is the only female member of group. She can create identical copies of herself. Another power that she has is to shrink.
- Mr. Poppyhead - The most robust member of the group and the third playable character.
- Mr. Twig - Another playable character. He resembles a twig. He has many arms that he can expand. He also has ability to spurt flowers.
- Mr. Feather - The last playable character. He is very small but can fly.
Botanicula won the 14th annual award in 'Excellence in Audio' at Independent Games Festival 2012. The game was also a showcased nominee and received the Story/World Design award at IndieCade (the International Festival of Independent Games) in 2012.  Botanicula also won a European Games Award 2012 in the category Best European Adventure Game. Botanicula was elected in the Booom competition as the Best Czech video game of 2012. The game also appeared on Anifilm in 2012 where it was given the Czech Video Game of the Year Award for artistic contribution to Czech video game output.
- "News: Daedalic to publish Amanita's Botanicula throughout Europe". Daedalic.de. 2011-11-24. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Botanicula – Amanita Design". Amanita-design.net. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Botanicula Official Trailer and Release Date". Amanita-design.net. Retrieved 2012-03-18.
- "IGF Factor 2012: Botanicula". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. February 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Botanicula on the App Store on iTunes". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- "Botanicula - Android Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 2015-02-09.
- "The Humble Botanicula Debut (pay what you want and help charity)". April 20, 2012.
- "Hands On: Botanicula". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. December 6, 2011. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "Botanicula for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- Ford, Eric (2014-05-15). "'Botanicula' Review – Nature's Beauty". TouchArcade. Retrieved 2018-08-17.
- "Botanicula - recenze, hodnocení". Hodnoceniher.cz. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula Review". IGN. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula Review". GameSpot.com. 2012-04-19. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Botanicula - recenze - GAMES.cz". Games.tiscali.cz. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "14th annual IGF announces winners". Independent Games Festival. March 2012. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (October 12, 2012). "IndieCade 2012 winners announced, Unmanned takes the top prize". Eurogamer. Archived from the original on 28 February 2016. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
- "European Games Award". European Games Award. 2011-08-13. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "– Výsledky". Booom.cz. Archived from the original on 18 July 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Česká hra roku 2012". Ceskahraroku.cz. Retrieved 2013-08-17.