Botany Downs Secondary College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Botany Downs Secondary College (BDSC)|
575 Chapel Road
|Funding type||State (not integrated)|
|Motto||"Maximising achievement through intellectual growth"|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||6930|
|School roll||1921 (August 2018)|
Botany Downs Secondary College is a state coeducational secondary school located in the Auckland, New Zealand suburb of East Tamaki. The school opened at the beginning of the 2004 school year to serve new residential development in the eastern Auckland area and to relieve other secondary schools in the area. Serving Years 9 to 13, the school has a roll of approximately 1921 students. Karen Brinsden has been appointed as the new principal for the school, starting from the beginning of 2016. Notable staff includes Robert Bartholomew who teaches social studies.
Botany Downs Secondary College was gazetted by Education Minister Trevor Mallard on 12 November 2001, with the working name Howick South Secondary School. The school opened in January 2004, initially taking Year 9 students only. The remaining school years opened as the 2004 Year 9 students moved through, with the school fully opening at the beginning of 2008.
The logo design uses the circles of the Beta and Delta characters from the Greek alphabet.
- The inner circle represents the student.
- The outer circle represents the nurturing and educating by the teacher.
- The overlapping circles echo the traditional role of the educator and the student.
- The outer shape links the circles, envelops the whole school community and is pointing towards the future.
Education Review Office (ERO)
Last visited by ERO in August 2016. The next review is due in 4–5 years (2020-2021).
ERO found that "Students at Botany Downs Secondary School are highly engaged in learning and value the rich opportunities they have to grow personally and academically. Leaders and teachers work in partnership with students to learn, think and inquire. NCEA qualifications success in the college is sustained at very high levels because of the strength in the NZC focused school vision."
The Whanau system in BDSC is designed to create a 'family' atmosphere; a "home away from home". It encourages a sense of a community based learning environment. There were previously 4 Whanau, with the late addition of Britten and Koru.
- Koru Whanau (Green)
- John Britten Whanau (Black)
- Spirit Whanau (Purple)
- Discovery Whanau (Blue)
- Endeavour Whanau (Yellow)
- Sir Peter Blake Whanau (Red)
- "Directory of Schools - as at 13 September 2018". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Mallard, Trevor (29 November 2001). "Establishment of a New School". New Zealand Gazette. New Zealand Government. 2001 (161): 3935.
- "Botany Downs Secondary College Education Review". Education Review Office. August 2016.