Bottomless Pit (band)
- This article refers to the band. For other uses, see Bottomless pit (disambiguation).
|Origin||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Labels||Comedy Minus One|
|Website||Official Site, Official Myspace|
|Members||Andy Cohen (vocals, guitar)
Tim Midyett (vocals, baritone guitar)
Chris Manfrin (drums)
Brian Orchard (bass guitar)
Bottomless Pit is an indie rock band from Chicago. Guitarist Andy Cohen and baritone guitarist Tim Midyett, both formerly of Silkworm, formed the band with drummer Chris Manfrin of Seam and bassist Brian Orchard of .22 in 2005. Since inception the group has issued three critically acclaimed records and toured in the United States and Canada. The band also played one show in Paris to open the Villette Sonique Festival in June 2008 at the invitation of fellow Chicago-based rock trio Shellac.
Their debut album Hammer of the Gods earned favorable reviews from various music publications. The album was in part recorded at Electrical Audio studios by Greg Norman and initially self-released on 45rpm vinyl. Notably, the vinyl record also included a copy of the album on compact disc for convenience. The following EP, entitled Congress, was also released in this format. Both releases are available for digital download from New Jersey based label Comedy Minus One.
On January 26, 2010, the band announced via their Facebook page that their next LP, Blood Under the Bridge, had been completed and would be mastered in March and released August 10, 2010. In March, four songs from the album, "38 Souls", "Q.E.D.", "Winterwind" and "Summerwind" were uploaded to the Internet (the former two songs on Facebook and the latter two songs on their Myspace).
- Hammer of the Gods LP (2007, Comedy Minus One)
- Congress EP (2008, Comedy Minus One)
- Blood Under the Bridge LP (2010, Comedy Minus One)
- Shade Perennial LP (2013, Comedy Minus One)
- (previously Midgett)
- Clipse, Deerhunter, Shellac Play Villette Sonique[dead link]
- Pitchfork Review of Hammer of the Gods, Jan. 31, 2008[dead link]
- Three Imaginary Girls review of ''Hammer of the Gods''. Threeimaginarygirls.com (March 3, 2008). Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Ryan, Kyle. (2007-11-06) Onion AV Club review of ''Hammer of the Gods''. Avclub.com. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Houston Press review of ''Hammer of the Gods''. Houstonpress.com (November 14, 2007). Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Alternative Press review of ''Hammer of the Gods''. Altpress.com. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Gross, Joe. (2005-07-14) Spin review of ''Hammer of the Gods''. Spin.com. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Village Voice review of ''Hammer of the Gods''. Villagevoice.com (October 30, 2007). Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Comedy Minus One Digital Download. Shop.comedyminusone.com. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Facebook page for Bottomless Pit, see entries on January 26, 2010. Facebook.com. Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Comedy Minus One One-Sheet for ''Blood Under the Bridge''. (PDF) . Retrieved on January 4, 2012.
- Official website
- Interview with Tim Midgett about the recording of Hammer of the Gods
- Bottomless Pit playing at Villette Sonique in June 2008
- Bottomless Pit playing at the Knitting Factory in NY in July 2008
- KEXP Seattle article from Live in Chicago session broadcast in July 2008