Boundaries (2018 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shana Feste|
|Written by||Shana Feste|
|Music by||Michael Penn|
Boundaries is a 2018 road trip comedy-drama film written and directed by Shana Feste. It stars Vera Farmiga, Christopher Plummer, Lewis MacDougall, Bobby Cannavale, Kristen Schaal, Christopher Lloyd, and Peter Fonda. The film had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 12, 2018 and was released in the United States on June 22, 2018 by Sony Pictures Classics, and in Canada on July 6, 2018, by Mongrel Media. This was the final film featuring Peter Fonda to be released during his lifetime.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
Laura (Farmiga), along with her teenaged son Henry (MacDougall), is forced to drive her pot-dealing father Jack (Plummer) from Seattle to her sister's house in Los Angeles after he is kicked out of a retirement home.
- Vera Farmiga as Laura Jaconi, Henry's mother
- Christopher Plummer as Jack Jaconi, Laura's father
- Lewis MacDougall as Henry, Laura and Leonard's son
- Bobby Cannavale as Leonard, Laura's ex-husband and Henry's father
- Kristen Schaal as JoJo Jaconi, Laura's sister
- Peter Fonda as Joey
- Christopher Lloyd as Stanley
- Dolly Wells as Sofia
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Serge
- Ryan Robbins as Jim
- Chelah Horsdal as Therapist
- Jill Teed as Principal Mueller
- Diana Bang as Fortune Teller
- Emily Holmes
- Jessica McLeod as True
- Halldor Kenneth Bjarnason as Jed; Stanley's son
- Rohan Campbell as Mikey
- Elizabeth Bowen as Griselda
- James Kirk as Jimmy
In April 2016, it was announced that Vera Farmiga and Christopher Plummer would portray lead roles in the drama film Boundaries, with Shana Feste directing from her own screenplay. Brian Kavanaugh-Jones and Bailey Conway were reported to be producing under the American production company Automatik Entertainment, with Chris Ferguson and Kenneth Burke producing under the Canadian production company Oddfellows Entertainment. In May 2016, Lewis MacDougall, Bobby Cannavale, Kristen Schaal, Peter Fonda, Christopher Lloyd, and Dolly Wells were also cast in the film.
In May 2016, Stage 6 Films acquired worldwide distribution rights to the film. Sony Pictures Classics distributed the film in the United States. Boundaries had its world premiere at South by Southwest on March 12, 2018. It was released in the United States on June 22, 2018.
Peter Fonda controversy
On June 20, 2018, Sony Pictures Classics condemned comments Peter Fonda made about President Donald Trump's young son Barron on Twitter the previous day, but announced that they would not edit the film or change its release schedule, noting that Fonda "plays a very minor role."
Boundaries made $29,995 from five theaters in its opening weekend, for an average of $5,910 per venue. Deadline Hollywood called it a "moderate start" while LifeZette called the film a "flop" and in-part blamed Fonda's association.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 52% based on 69 reviews, and an average rating of 5.1/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Boundaries benefits from a stellar performance by the reliably excellent Christopher Plummer, but his work is overwhelmed by the mediocre movie that surrounds it." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 50 out of 100, based on 24 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Boundaries (2018)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved September 9, 2018.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (April 29, 2016). "Vera Farmiga and Christopher Plummer Set for Shana Feste Drama "Boundaries"". The Tracking Board. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- Jaafar, Ali (May 2, 2016). "Sony's Stage 6 Films Acquires Worldwide Rights To Vera Farmiga-Christopher Plummer Road Trip Pic 'Boundaries'". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved May 2, 2016.
- SSN Insider Staff (May 6, 2016). "On the Set for 5/6/16: Taron Egerton Starts 'Kingsman' Sequel, Hugh Jackman Begins on 'Wolverine 3', Rooney Mara & Robert Redford Finish 'The Discovery'". SSN Insider. TSS News. Archived from the original on May 27, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2016.
- "Current Productions: April 29, 2016 Directors Guild of Canada, BC District Council" (PDF). Directors Guild of Canada, BC District Council. April 29, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 16, 2016. Retrieved May 3, 2016.
- "Boundaries Starts Filming in Vancouver & British Columbia". What's Filming. May 3, 2016. Retrieved May 31, 2016.
- filmmusicreporter (February 27, 2017). "Michael Penn to Score Shana Feste's 'Boundaries'". Film Music Reporter. Retrieved February 28, 2017.
- "Boundaries". Film Ratings. Classification & Ratings Administration. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (January 31, 2018). "SXSW: Emily Blunt's 'A Quiet Place' to Open Fest". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- "Boundaries". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved February 28, 2018.
- Kilday, Gregg (June 20, 2018). "Sony Pictures Classics Condemns Peter Fonda, But Will Still Release His New Film". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved June 21, 2018.
- Brooks, Brian (June 24, 2018). "'The King' Reigns Over Mixed Weekend of Openers; 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Expands Robustly: Specialty Box Office". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved June 26, 2018.
- "Boundaries (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- "Boundaries Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 24, 2018.