Bourne & Hollingsworth
Bourne & Hollingsworth was a large department store on the corner of Oxford Street and Berners Street. It was named after its founders, Walter William Bourne and Howard E Hollingsworth, brothers in law, who started the store in Westbourne Grove as a drapery store in 1894. The store then moved to the Oxford Street site (pictured) in 1902 (built in 1894) due to competition with Whiteleys, and by 1928 the store had been remodelled (by Slater & Moberley) in the Art Deco style.
Bourne & Hollingsworth became renowned for selling the best quality goods and for looking after their staff, providing accommodation at Warwickshire House on Gower Street for up to 600 female workers. Like much of Oxford Street, the store suffered bomb damage in 1940, however today much of the art deco facade still survives.
The 1954 comedy-drama film The Crowded Day, directed by John Guillermin, was partially shot inside Bourne & Hollingsworth to provide an authentic setting of a department store, which could not easily be achieved in a studio. The store's exterior was also used for some outside location shots, including the background of the film's opening title credit.
The store finally closed its doors in 1983.
- "The Blitz: Store Wars". 6 September 2010 – via news.bbc.co.uk.
- Richardson, John (25 June 2018). "The Annals of London: A Year-by-year Record of a Thousand Years of History". University of California Press – via Google Books.
- "Oxford Street history - In Pictures". Time Out London.
- "BFI Screenonline: Crowded Day, The (1954)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- Tunstill, John & Brian; James, Simon; Wilkinson, Phil; Lovejoy, Simon (2015). "Film: Crowded Day, The". ReelStreets.com. Reel Streets – Worldwide Film Locations. p. 1. Retrieved 2015-11-27.
- "Department store Bargate-street, Southampton for Bourne and Hollingsworth Ltd; architects, W H Saunders & Son, Department store Bargate-street, Southampton for Bourne and Hollingsworth Ltd; architects, W H Saunders & Son; Builder, 195(6029), 17 October 1958, pp 644-7". www.sopse.org.uk.
- "Other Independent department Stores from the 1970s". www.philipsuter.co.uk.
- https://books.google.com/books?id=hiQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT101&lpg=PT101&dq=bourne+and+hollingsworth+department+store&source=bl&ots=XKlG6OeB1H&sig=5J120XAB_4ccwxy6GxiZFGmUsUI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Ao5PVP23IozD7galt4D4Bw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBzge#v=onepage&q=bourne%20and%20hollingsworth%20department%20store&f=false%7C Billboard 9/11/1985
- Webpage for Bourne & Hollingsworth bar