Market square in the center of Fort Bourtange
|• Total||159 ha (393 acres)|
|• Land||147 ha (363 acres)|
|• Water||12 ha (30 acres)|
|• Density||270/km2 (700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NL-GR|
Bourtange (Dutch pronunciation: [ˌbuːrˈtɑŋə]; Gronings: Boertang) is a village with a population of 430 in the municipality of Westerwolde in the Netherlands. It is situated in the region Westerwolde in the east of the province of Groningen near the German border. Fort Bourtange was built in 1593 during the Dutch Revolt and was used until 1851. The star fort was gradually restored to its mid-18th-century state between 1967 and 1992 and it is currently an open-air museum.
Fort Bourtange was initially built during the Eighty Years' War (circa 1568–1648) when William I of Orange wanted to control the only road between Germany and the city of Groningen which was controlled by the Spanish. This road followed a sandy ridge (tange) through the marshes (the Bourtange Swamp).
Around 1960 living conditions in the village deteriorated and it was decided that Bourtange would be rebuilt to its state of 1740-1750. Today it is an open-air museum.
Bourtange is located in the center of the municipality of Westerwolde and in the east of the province of Groningen near the German border. It is situated on a sand ridge in the Bourtange Moor, in the region of Westerwolde.
In 2001, the town of Bourtange had 267 inhabitants. The built-up area of the town was 0.21 km², and contained 133 residences. In 2005, the statistical area "Bourtange", which also can include the surrounding countryside, had a population of around 530.
- (in Dutch) Kerncijfers wijken en buurten, Statistics Netherlands, 2013. Retrieved on 19 January 2014.
- (in Dutch) Resultaten voor "Bourtange,", Postcode.nl. Retrieved on 19 January 2014.
- (in Dutch) Netnummer zoeken, Telefoonboek.nl. Retrieved on 19 January 2014.
- (in Dutch) "Bourtange (gemeente Vlagtwedde)", Monumenten in Nederland. Groningen, 1998/2010. Retrieved on 19 January 2014.
- (in Dutch) Ad van der Meer & Onno Boonstra, "Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten" Archived February 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine., KNAW, 2006.
- "Vesting Bourtange". Archived from the original on 16 June 2013. Retrieved 4 April 2013.
- (in Dutch) Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Bevolkingskernen in Nederland 2001 Archived March 19, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.. (Statistics are for the continuous built-up area).
- (in Dutch) Statistics Netherlands (CBS), Statline: Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2003-2005 Archived 2006-07-24 at WebCite. As of 1 January 2005.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Bourtange.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bourtange.|