Bowes Park railway station
|Local authority||London Borough of Haringey|
|Managed by||Great Northern|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Fare zone||3 and 4|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|London transport portal|
Bowes Park railway station is in the London Borough of Haringey in north London, and is on the boundary of Travelcard Zone 3 and Travelcard Zone 4. It is 5 miles 55 chains (9.15 km) down the line from London King's Cross. The station and all trains serving it are operated by Great Northern, on the Hertford Loop Line. It was first opened by the GNR in 1880, some nine years after the Loop Line itself was completed.
The station is a short walk from Bounds Green Underground station on the Piccadilly line, with which it is a valid out-of-station interchange. It has an unusual location in that it is situated between two quiet residential cul-de-sacs and is accessed from a footbridge over the railway line which divides those streets.
Bowes Park is the only station on the entire Hertford Loop with an island platform.
To the north of the station is a single siding in between the two running tracks which is occasionally used to turn around East Coast InterCity 225 and 125 trains heading for Bounds Green Depot just north of Alexandra Palace. A connection to the now disused GER Palace Gates Line whose terminus, Palace Gates (Wood Green), lay just to the south, was made in 1929.
The service runs to Moorgate via Highbury & Islington. The service, which used Class 313 EMUs previously, now uses Class 717 EMUs, as these are the only units cleared to run in the tunnel section between Drayton Park and Moorgate stations.
The typical weekday off-peak service is 4 trains per hour to Moorgate and 4 trains per hour to Hertford North, with one per hour extended to Watton-at-Stone and one per hour extended further Stevenage. Some extra peak services start/finish at Gordon Hill On Saturdays & Sundays, the service is half-hourly each way (hourly to/from Stevenage).
If there are rail works on the fast line via New Southgate, London North Eastern Railway, Hull Trains, Grand Central and Great Northern express services directly to the north and Cambridge are diverted via the Hertford Loop.
The following off-peak weekday services currently call at Bowes Park:
- 1tph Great Northern service Moorgate - Stevenage
- 1tph Great Northern service Moorgate - Watton-at-Stone (weekdays) / Moorgate - Stevenage (weekends)
- 2tph Great Northern service Moorgate - Hertford North
- Oyster pay and go has been accepted at the station since 2 January 2010.
- "Out-of-Station Interchanges" (Microsoft Excel). Transport for London. 2 January 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Padgett, David (October 2016) . Brailsford, Martyn (ed.). Railway Track Diagrams 2: Eastern (4th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. map 24A. ISBN 978-0-9549866-8-1.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Table 24 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Oyster Card and National Rail, National Rail Enquiries Website Archived 10 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Train times and station information for Bowes Park railway station from National Rail
- The History of Bowes Park Railway station on local Community Website Bowes and Bounds Connected
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Alexandra Palace||Great Northern
Northern City Line
(Hertford Loop Line)