Bowie High School (Arlington, Texas)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|James Bowie High School|
Arlington, Tarrant County, Texas 76018|
|Type||Public High School|
|Motto||Cross the Line|
|Number of students||3,053 (2014-15)|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue White and Orange|
|Athletics||UIL Class 6A|
|Rival||Martin High School l]]|
|Website||James Bowie High School|
James Bowie High School is a secondary school in Arlington, Texas. The school is a part of Arlington Independent School District and serves students in grades 9 through 12 in southeast Arlington and southwest Grand Prairie. Bowie High competes in Class 6A within the University Interscholastic League that governs interschool athletic, artistic, and academic competition in Texas.
The Original Bowie High School
The original Bowie High School opened in 1973, relieving Sam Houston High School. The original Bowie, AISD's fourth high school, was located three blocks west and two blocks south of Sam Houston. Cathy Brown of The Dallas Morning News wrote "Bowie, in its first incarnation.bargain.n, are [sic] too close together to effectively serve the city's population. So community, be warned." Many students in the Houston zone wanted to transfer to Bowie because it was newer, and the transfer process made it easy for them to do so.
Martin High School opened in 1982, and the growth patterns in southern Arlington changed, so the district chose to close the original Bowie. The original building is now Workman Junior High School.
This section does not cite any sources. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- The Battle of South Arlington/The Cross-town Rivalry
- Arlington James Martin High (of Southwest Arlington) and Arlington James Bowie High (of Southeast Arlington)
What used to be:
- The Battle of Maverick Stadium (This was the home stadium for both high schools through the 2010-2011 school year)
- Arlington High and Arlington James Bowie High
The school participates in the Advanced Placement Program, offering the following Advanced Placement (AP) classes: AP Biology, AP Calculus AB/BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English, AP European History, AP Geography, AP Government, AP Latin, AP Macroeconomics, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US History and AP World History.
Dual credit courses, taken at Tarrant County College (SE Campus) and/or UT Arlington, are offered in Algebra II, Art IV, English IV, Geology, Government/Economics, Music History, Psychology and Sociology.
Student clubs and organizations
- Academic Quiz League
- Academic Decathlon
- Anime Club
- Art Club
- Ballet Folklorico
- Bible Study
- Bowie Belles Drill Team
- Business Professionals of America
- Cheerleading, Freshmen
- Cheerleading, Junior Varsity
- Bowie Varsity Cheerleaders
- Chess Club
- Creative Writing
- French Club
- Gamer's Club
- Gospel choir
- International Club
- Junior Class
- Key Club
- Latin Club
- Math Team
- Muslim Student Association (MSA)
- Model United Nations
- National Honor Society
- The Real Volunteers
- Science Club
- Senior Class
- Step Team
- Special Olympics
- Speech and Debate
- Student Council
- Swim team
- Technology Student Association
- Winston Science Team
- Darrell 'Dimebag' Abbot (class of 1984) — guitarist for the heavy metal band Pantera and other bands 
- "About Us". James Bowie High School. Archived from the original on April 1, 2012. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "BOWIE H S". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 10, 2017.
- Brown, Cathy (editorial columnist). "No blackboard jungles despite changing demographics." The Dallas Morning News. Wednesday October 14, 1998. Opinions Arlington 7A. Retrieved on October 25, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-07-07.