Bowie High School (El Paso, Texas)
|Bowie High School|
|801 S. San Marcial Street
El Paso, Texas 79905
|Motto||Once A Bear, Always a Bear|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and White|
Bowie High School is one of the oldest operating high schools in El Paso, Texas and is part of the El Paso Independent School District. It is located in the Chamizal neighborhood in the South Central part of the city next to the border with Mexico, not far from the Bridge of the Americas linking El Paso with Ciudad Juarez, across San Marcial Street from Chamizal National Memorial.
Bowie High serves Downtown El Paso and the western half of South Central (also known as South) El Paso; its attendance zone is roughly defined by Interstate 10 on the north, the Rio Grande on the south and west, and Luna Street on the east. It is fed by Guillen Middle School and the elementary schools in its feeder pattern include Aoy, Beall, Douglass, and Hart. Bowie High also hosts a magnet program for business and international relations, International Business Academy, which opened in 2003 and draws students from throughout the district. It was named for Texas Revolution hero and Alamo defender James Bowie. Bowie's main rival is Jefferson High School.
Bowie High School was founded in 1927 to relieve overpopulation at El Paso High School. The first school building still exists on South Cotton Street at Sixth Avenue in the Segundo Barrio (Second Ward) section of South-Central El Paso; it is now Guillen Middle School. Bowie High was eventually relocated at its current location as a result of restructuring in South El Paso; it sits on what was once Mexican territory ceded to the United States as a result of the Chamizal Treaty which settled a boundary dispute between the United States and Mexico.
Bowie High School consists of great fine arts organizations including the Mighty Bowie Bear Band, Drama Club, Los Osos Orgullosos Mariachi, Los Osos Orgullosos Choir, and The Bear Orchestra. These organizations are located at the new Fine Arts building. Other organizations include
- High-Q team
- Academic Decathlon
- Student Council
- Student Council Presidents -Ivan Duarte -Veronica Rodriguez - Student Council Vice-President -Dulce Moreno
- Men's and Women's Basketball
- Cross Country
- Men's and Women's Soccer
- Track and Field
- Ambrosio Guillen, Medal of Honor Recipient.
- Javier Montez, 1952 Summer Olympics Olympian.
- Nolan Richardson, NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Championship coach.
- Belen Robles, League of United Latin American Citizens Former President.
- Miguel Unzueta, Associate Professor of Management & Organizations at the UCLA Anderson School of Management
- The Bowie High School Official Website
- Bowie High School Official Alumni Website
- Bears Beyond the Border Scholarship Fund
- "Athletics - Bowie High School". bowie.episd.org. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Nolan Richardson
- "Unzueta | UCLA Anderson School of Management". www.anderson.ucla.edu. Retrieved 2016-01-23.
- Border, Bears Beyond the. "Bears Beyond the Border". www.bearsbeyond.org. Retrieved 2016-01-23.