Bowne Township, Michigan
|Bowne Township, Michigan|
Map of Michigan showing the location of Kent County, the county Bowne Township resides in
|• Total||36.0 sq mi (93.3 km2)|
|• Land||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||810 ft (247 m)|
|• Density||85.7/sq mi (33.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625964|
- Alto is an unincorporated village that is located primarily in this township.
- Bowne was a hamlet in Bowne Township which had a post office from 1850 until 1868.
- Bowne Center is a village founded in 1838.
- Logan was an unincorporated community in the township. In May 1881 it was given a post office named "Keller" for the storekeeper and first postmaster, Christian Keller. It was renamed "Logan" in September 1884 and closed in October 1888. It was restored from November 1899 to January 1906.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.0 square miles (93 km2), of which, 35.8 square miles (93 km2) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) of it (0.50%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,743 people, 880 households, and 756 families residing in the township. The population density was 76.5 per square mile (29.5/km²). There were 906 housing units at an average density of 25.3 per square mile (9.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.59% White, 0.18% African American, 0.51% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.86% of the population.
There were 880 households out of which 45.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.8% were married couples living together, 5.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.0% were non-families. 10.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.11 and the average family size was 3.36.
In the township the population was spread out with 32.4% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 32.3% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 6.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 104.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $60,909, and the median income for a family was $61,544. Males had a median income of $41,660 versus $30,478 for females. The per capita income for the township was $22,675. About 5.0% of families and 5.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.4% of those under age 18 and 8.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bowne Township, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. p. 72. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6 – via Google Books.
- Romig, Walter (1986). Michigan Place Names. Detroit: Wayne State University Press. p. 333. ISBN 978-0-8143-1838-6 – via Google Books.