Box Hill North, Victoria
|Box Hill North|
|• Density||3,000/km2 (7,700/sq mi)|
|Area||4 km2 (1.5 sq mi)|
|Location||14 km (9 mi) from Melbourne|
|LGA(s)||City of Whitehorse|
|State electorate(s)||Box Hill|
Box Hill North is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 14 km east from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the City of Whitehorse. At the 2016 Census, Box Hill North had a population of 11,874.
Box Hill North's boundaries are Koonung Creek in the north, Elgar Road in the west, Middleborough Road in the east, and Thames Street in the south. The eastern part of Box Hill North is also known as Kerrimuir.
In the 12-month period to January 2020 Box Hill North reported a median house price of A$1.03 million for a three bedroom house.
Although central Box Hill was established as a post town in 1861, Box Hill North was largely developed as a suburban area following the Second World War. The earliest permanent European presence in the area was Arundel Wrighte's pastoral lease, established in 1838. A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built of local stone in 1858 and is the oldest building in the area. Until the 1950s much of Box Hill North was covered with orchards. Kerrimuir Post Office opened on 1 April 1955 and Box Hill North Post Office opened on 1 August 1955 as the suburb developed.
Box Hill North has many shopping areas at the following locations;
- The corner of Station Street and Woodhouse Grove
- The corner of Elgar Road and Woodhouse Grove
- The corner of Middleborough Road and Springfield Road
- Trawool Street, between Dorking Road and Tynong Street
- Second Avenue, between Toogoods Rise and Cherry Orchard Rise
Box Hill North has a light industrial area in Lexton Street, at the Middleborough Road end of the street. It includes hot food snack bars open during weekday business hours to service the light industrial businesses and several shops and factory outlets.
Box Hill North has two public primary schools; Kerrimuir Primary School and Box Hill North Primary School. Another school, St Clare's Catholic Primary School, closed down in the early 2000s.
The suburb has one secondary school, Berengarra Secondary School, located on the old site for St Clare's Catholic Primary School. Berengarra Secondary School caters for students experiencing problems in mainstream schools. The school teaches students in Years 7 to 10.
The major north-south roads in Box Hill North are (from east-west); Elgar Road, Station Street, Dorking Road and Middleborough Road. Major east-west roads include (from north-south); Eastern Freeway, Woodhouse Grove, Wimmera Street/Springfield Road and Thames/Margaret Street.
The suburb has three tram routes within a five kilometre radius. The routes are;
- Route 48 to Victoria Harbour Docklands; in Balwyn North on Doncaster Road
- Route 70 to Waterfront City Docklands; in Burwood on Riversdale Road
- Route 109 to Port Melbourne; in Box Hill on Whitehorse Road
Buses run on Elgar Road, Station Street, Dorking Road and Middleborough Road, as well as various side streets.
Routes on Elgar Road;
- Route 281 – Templestowe to Deakin University
- Route 293 – Greensborough to Box Hill
- Route 302 – City (Lonsdale Street) to Box Hill
- Route 304 – City (Lonsdale Street) to Doncaster (Belmore Road to Eastern Freeway only)
Routes on Station Street;
Routes on Dorking Road;
Routes on Middleborough Road;
Routes on side streets;
- East Box Hill Cricket Club
- Box Hill North Football Club Inc
- Whitehorse Pioneers Football Club Inc
- SFX Whitehorse Colts Junior Football Club Inc
- North Box Hill Tennis Club (NBHTC)
- Elgar Park Cricket Club (Previously Box Hill Church of Christ Cricket Club)
- Box Hill North Cricket Club
- Kerrimuir United Cricket Club
- Eastern Gymnastics Club (Previously Box Hill Gymnastics Club)
- Box Hill Little Athletics Centre
- Whitehorse Pole Vault Club
- Koonung Comets Basketball Club
There are many parks in the suburb, including Elgar Park, Bushy Creek Park, Memorial Park, Springfield Park, Tassell's Park, Frank Sedgman Reserve, Hagenauer Reserve, Halligan Park, Eram Park as well as many smaller, often unnamed, reserves. Of these, only Elgar Park and Springfield Park contain an Australian rules football oval. Most of these parks have walking and bicycle paths and children's playgrounds.
As well as this, there is two multi purpose tracks run through the suburb. The Bushy Creek Trail runs from the intersection at Elgar Road and Belmore Road, near Elgar Park, to the intersection at Dorking Road and Wimmera Street, near Springfield Park. The Koonung Creek Trial also runs through the north of the suburb, connecting it with neighbouring suburbs, such as Mont Albert North, Blackburn North, Nunawading, and Balwyn North.
The residents of Box Hill North profess several religions, although the majority are either Christian or non-religious. There are five churches in the suburb;
- Manningham Uniting Church - Woodhouse Grove
- St Clare Catholic Church - corner of Woodhouse Grove and Killara Street
- GO Evangelical Church - Elgar Road
- True Jesus Church - corner of Watts Street and Medway Street
- St Philip's Anglican Church - Lawford Street
- "2016 QuickStats Box Hill North". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 13 July 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Postcode for Box Hill North, Victoria (near Melbourne)". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 10 October 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Real Estate - Properties for Sale, Rent and Share - Domain". www.domain.com.au.
- Phoenix Auctions History, Post Office List, retrieved 30 January 2021 CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Box Hill Railway Station (Box Hill) - Public Transport Victoria". www.ptv.vic.gov.au. Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "48 North Balwyn - Victoria Harbour Docklands". Public Transport Victoria.
- "70 Waterfront City Docklands - Wattle Park". Public Transport Victoria.
- "109 Box Hill - Port Melbourne". Public Transport Victoria.
- "281 Templestowe - Deakin University". Public Transport Victoria.
- "293 Box Hill - Greensborough via Doncaster SC". Public Transport Victoria.
- "302 City - Box Hill via Belmore Rd and Eastern Fwy". Public Transport Victoria.
- "304 City - Doncaster SC via Belmore Rd and Eastern Fwy". Public Transport Victoria.
- "903 Altona - Mordialloc (SMARTBUS Service)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "270 Box Hill - Mitcham via Blackburn North". Public Transport Victoria.
- "279 Box Hill - Doncaster SC via Middleborough Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "303 City - Ringwood North via Park Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "612 Box Hill - Chadstone via Surrey Hills & Camberwell & Glen Iris". Public Transport Victoria.