Box Hill railway station, Melbourne
Entrance from Box Hill Central Shopping Centre in July 2016
Station Street, Box Hill|
|Distance||16.16 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||4 (1 island, 2 side)|
|Structure type||Built over|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 December 1882|
|Passengers (2008-2009)||3.025 million|
|Passengers (2009-2010)||3.161 million 4.5%|
|Passengers (2010-2011)||3.160 million 0.03%|
|Passengers (2011-2012)||2.743 million 13.2%|
|Passengers (2012-2013)||Not measured|
|Passengers (2013-2014)||3.254 million 18.63%|
Box Hill railway station is located on the Lilydale and Belgrave lines, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the eastern Melbourne suburb of Box Hill, and opened on 1 December 1882. It is located beneath the Box Hill Central Shopping Centre. In 2013/14, it was the 10th busiest station in Melbourne's metropolitan network, as well as being the busiest non-interchange station outside of Melbourne's CBD, with 3.254 million passenger movements.
In 1882, Box Hill was a separate town, with several hundred residents. In 1895, a large market was opened next to the station. On 19 December 1922, the section from Flinders Street to Box Hill was electrified, and this was continued to Ringwood the following month.
Goods services at Box Hill ceased on 29 December 1976.
In early 1983, the current station was built, to eliminate the level crossing at Station Street. Box Hill Central Shopping Centre and the bus terminal above it were built over the top of the station, with the complex eventually completed by 1985. Platform 1 was used between 24 April 1983 and 9 June 1984, while the current station was being built, and has been retained for possible future use. The platform has no track or lighting, with a McDonald's Restaurant since built over the ramp from the station concourse.
During January 2007, the line was closed between Box Hill and Blackburn, to facilitate grade separation works at the Middleborough Road level crossing, near Laburnum. Buses operated between the two stations for the duration, and to cater for this, a temporary bus interchange was constructed at Box Hill. The interchange was built directly on top of the tracks, which had been paved between the rails, to the east of the station, and was connected to Platforms 2 and 3, via a raised walkway. With the completion of the project's major works at the end of January 2007, the bus interchange was removed.
Platforms & services
- Unused and has no track, with a McDonald's Restaurant built over its entrance.
- Lilydale line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Lilydale line: all stations and limited stops services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: all stations and limited stops services to Belgrave
- Lilydale line: weekday all stations and limited stops services to Lilydale
- Belgrave line: weekday all stations and limited stops services to Belgrave
- Lilydale line & Belgrave line: weekday all stations and limited stops services to Blackburn
A sheltered fourteen bay bus terminus is located two levels above the station, on the rooftop of Box Hill Central. The terminus serves 20 bus routes.
Buses from Box Hill Station:
- 271: Ringwood station via Park Orchards
- 279: Westfield Doncaster or Templestowe Shops via Middleborough Road
- 284: Doncaster Park & Ride via Union Road
- 281: to Templestowe
- 293: Greensborough via Westfield Doncaster
- 302: City via Belmore Road, Eastern Freeway
- 270: Mitcham station via Blackburn North
- 765: Mitcham station via Brentford Square, Forest Hill Chase Shopping Centre, Blackburn station
- 766: Burwood station via Surrey Hills station
- 281: to Deakin University
- 767: Westfield Southland via Hughesdale station, Chadstone Shopping Centre, Jordanville station, Deakin University
- 768: Deakin University via Canterbury Rd
Nightbus: (On Whitehorse Road)
Yarra Trams operates one route to and from Box Hill:
Ventura buses at the bus terminus in January 2013
- "Train Station Patronage FY2008-2014" (XLS). Public Transport Victoria. 14 May 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016. (access from )
- Mont Albert Vicsig
- Station Patronage Research Public Transport Victoria
- "Traffic". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. January 1977. p. 12.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Heistorical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Middleborough Road project Vicsig
- Lilydale Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Belgrave Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 903 Altona - Mordialloc timetable Archived 26 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Public Transport Victoria
- Route 109 Box Hill - Port Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria