Boy Better Know
|Boy Better Know|
The Boy Better Know logo
|Also known as||BBK|
|Labels||Boy Better Know Records|
|Associated acts||Roll Deep Crew, Meridian Crew|
Boy Better Know is an English grime collective and record label. The collective was founded in North London by Jme alongside his brother Skepta in 2005 as an independent record label and a means to publish their music.
In the early 2000s, Meridian Crew, consisting of MCs President T, Skepta, Jme and Big H regularly appeared on pirate radio stations including Heat FM and later on Déjà Vu FM. In 2005 Meridian Crew dissolved after affiliates of the crew were convicted on attempted murder charges. After this event Jme founded BBK alongside his brother Skepta while other Meridian members reformed as Bloodline Family.
In its early period "Boy Better Know" was well known for its line of eponymous T-shirts. The crew also had a regular show on Rinse FM with DJ Maximum. Jme's debut album Famous? was released on the label in 2008. "Too Many Man", the first single from the album, was released on 25 May 2009. The song is also featured on the Wiley and Skepta albums, Race Against Time and Microphone Champion, respectively. The song was written because of Skepta's annoyance over 'the lack of women in clubs'. It entered the UK Singles Chart on 6 June 2009 at #97, reaching #79 the next week. The second single from the album V.I.P, titled "Goin' In", was released for download on iTunes on 13 December 2009.
Jme's second studio album, Blam!, was released 4 October 2010. Three singles from this album were released; "Over Me", "Sidetracked", which features Wiley, and "CD Is Dead" featuring UK grime artist Tempa T.
- Wiley (2005–present)
- Jammer (2005–present)
- Frisco (2005–present)
- Shorty (2006–present)
- Solo 45 (2006–present)
- Drake (2016–present)
In-house producers and DJs
- DJ Maximum (2006–present)
- Preditah (2013–present)
- Wiley - Da 2nd Phaze (2006)
- Skepta - Greatest Hits (2007)
- JME - Famous? (2008)
- Skepta - Microphone Champion (2009)
- JME - Blam! (2010)
- Frisco - Fully Grown (2010)
- JME - History: (2011)
- Frisco - Back 2 Da Lab Compilation (2011)
- Skepta Blacklisted (2012)
- Jammer - Living The Dream (2013)
- Frisco - British Nights (2014)
- JME - Integrity> (2015)
- Frisco - System Killer (2016)
- Skepta - Konnichiwa (2016)
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2009||"Too Many Man"||79||V.I.P|
- "I am nothing but a grime MC": Introducing Meridian Dan (14 April 2014). ""I am nothing but a grime MC": Introducing Meridian Dan". fabric blog. Fabriclondon.com. Retrieved 20 May 2014.
- "BBC NEWS - UK - Gunman who gloated in rap jailed".
- "Niet compatibele browser". Facebook. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- Adabra, Michelle (25 August 2005). "Boy Better Know Now", New Nation (602): 15.
- "Maximum - Rinse FM". RinseFM.
- "Jme – Famous?". Ukrecordshop.com. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Bigga Fish Bigga Valentine's Bash @ matter, Tues 16th Feb". altsounds. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- "UK Singles & Albums Chart Archive – Boy Better Know – Too Many Man". Chart Stats. 13 June 2009. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Fresh links: do the Rolex sweep!". The Guardian. London. 1 April 2008.
- Mistajam (17 June 2008). "MistaJam: Coldplay do the Rolex Sweep". BBC. Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- "Boy Better Know launch pay as you go mobile network", The Wire (magazine).