Boy Scouts of America centennial
|Boy Scouts of America centennial|
|Theme||Celebrating the Adventure, Continuing the Journey|
|Date||September 1, 2009 – December 31, 2010|
The Boy Scouts of America was incorporated on February 8, 1910 and celebrated its centennial from September 1, 2009 through December 31, 2010.
The Boy Scout uniform was redesigned for 2010.
All rank patches (Including Eagle Scout and Arrow of Light) were redesigned to include 2010 for the Centennial Year. These patches were only issued to those who earned the respective rank during the Centennial year.
For Boy Scouts of America centennial a new centennial handbook was released in July 2009. The handbook had many features returned that were removed years ago and put into the BSA field handbook. Two new youth leadership positions were added: Webmaster  and Leave No Trace Trainer. The book is organized by topic now rather than by rank.
Historical Merit Badge Program: Four historical merit badges will be available in 2010 only: Signaling, Tracking, Pathfinding and Carpentry. These discontinued merit badges will be back without change. A special patch will be released for each merit badges. The availability of these badges is official as of April 1, 2010.
- Signaling has Flag semaphore and Morse code. Signaling started in 1911 and was discontinued in 1992.
- Pathfinding started in 1911 and was discontinued in 1952. Pathfinding is much like the current Orienteering and Citizenship In The Community merit badges
- Carpentry started in 1911 and was discontinued in 1952.
- Tracking was called Stalking, started in 1915 and was discontinued in 1952.
Although a limited number of new merit badges are created and introduced on a regular basis, Scouting Heritage, a new standard Merit Badge, was specifically released in April 2010 as part of Boy Scouts of America's centennial celebration.
In late 2007, a contest was held by the BSA for a design for the centennial logo. An essay on how the logo related to the centennial theme was required for each entry. From over 4,000 submissions, the entry of Philip Goolkasian, an Eagle Scout from Fresno, California, was selected.
Since 1969, Boy Scouts of America National Jamborees have normally been scheduled every 4 years. The previous National Jamboree was conducted in 2005 but the 2010 National Scout Jamboree was specifically scheduled out-of-cycle to coincide with the centennial. The next Jamboree was scheduled for 2013 in synchronization with the normal schedule.
The theme for the National Jamboree was "Celebrating the Adventure, Continuing the Journey".
The BSA is celebrating the centennial through eight national programs:
- The BSA Alumni Connection aims to reconnect former members with the Scouting program.
- The National Hall of Leadership recognizes Scout leaders who influenced youth.
- Generations Connection allows families to share their Scouting history.
- Get In The Game! Geocaching will involve several nationwide geocaching programs along with service.
- Year of Celebration is a recognition program with requirements for leadership, character, community service, achievement and the outdoors. Requirements are grouped for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, adult leaders and alumni.
- Adventure Base 100 is a traveling exhibit featuring a museum, a ropes course and a surround theater.
- A Shining Light Across America will be a special nationwide broadcast on July 31, 2010 from the 100th Anniversary National Jamboree.
- Pitch for Scouting.
Insignia and memorabilia
- BSA Handbook website
- usscouts Advance
- Leave No Trace
- "Historical Merit Badge Program". April 1, 2010.
- Citizenship In The Community
- "Historical merit badges help Boy Scouts celebrate Scouting's past". Scouting. Boy Scouts of America. January 12, 2010. Archived from the original on January 15, 2010. Retrieved January 13, 2010.
- Scouting Heritage Merit Badge
- Stephen Medlicott (August 27, 2007), "Scouts Nationwide to Compete for 100th Anniversary Logo. Once-in-a-Lifetime Design Contest Celebrates Boy Scouts of America's Coming 2010 Milestone.", PR Newswire Europe, retrieved January 5, 2013
- "National Logo Contest Winners". Boy Scouts of America. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- BSA Alumni Connection
- National Hall of Leadership
- BSA Generations Connection
- et In The Game! Geocaching
- BSA's Year of Celebration is a recognition
- Adventure Base 100
- BSA's Pitch for Scouting
- BSA Centennial Ring Emblem Archived May 11, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- Celebrate Scouting Stamp Unveiling (PDF), United States Postal Service, November 5, 2009, retrieved November 6, 2009